cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix GL503GE SCAR - wrong ram slot, coil whine, fans a bit loud

vacs
Level 7
Hi,

I want to share my experience with this notebook to see if others have the same issues and maybe Asus would address the CPU issue with a bios update. I already filed a RMA to my seller and now waiting for them to aprove it, but I still want to share this.

I bought the notebook yesterday, installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro 1803, downloaded and installed all drivers from the official website and then updated Windows until no updates were avaible. Also I installed Chrome, Aida64 and nothing else and these are my problem:.

1. The notebook comes with a single 8GB ram stick which should be somewhere on the motherboard and not accessible through the ram and ssd expansion bay so that the other ram slot in the extention bay would be empty and when you decide to upgrade the ram you won't have to dissasembly the whole notebook and lose warranty (image attached). BTW on all youtube videos their slot was empty.

2. The notebook makes a scratchy noise almost the whole time while connected to the charger. The only time it doesn't is when you're in the bios, or not doing anyting (not even moving the mouse). I attached a video to see that I opened just chrome and that the noise appears as soon as I move the mouse. The system load varies from 4 do 13% so that's means no background proccesses are causing additional load, and even if they where a notebook this price range ($1350) should not make this noise as I had ROG notebooks before and none of them made any other noise than the normal ones produced by fans and hdd's.

3. When I run Aida64 I see that my CPU clock is always between 3.8 and 4.1GHz, when I start the stress test the clock goes down to the base 2.2GHz clock which is not normal, it should be the other way around.

4. After installing all the drivers from the link below one device remains „unknown“ so when I run windows update it downloads something called „asus – firmware...“ (I don't remember the whole name). After rebooting it updates my bios to v306 even if the last version on asus official website is v303. I thought that this bios caused the cpu clock issue as there must be a reason asus pulled back the v306 so I performed a downgrade to v303 but the issue remained. It's weird that windows would do a bios update as I never seen this before.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL503/HelpDesk_Download/

75 REPLIES 75

Passion64x
Level 7
[1]. Free slot could be under the existing ram , try removing it .
[2].THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

[3] 2.2 Ghz is your base clock , if you want to enter turbo boost you have to stress 1-2 cores. you can also try intel xtu and check the boost multipliers and throttling . And it's win10 issue that your cpu is always on max clock , go into battery settings and change to moderate or saving power plan - it will allow processor to downclock itself when not under load.

Hi Passion64x, tnx for your reply

Passion64x wrote:
[1]. Free slot could be under the existing ram , try removing it .

tried, it isn't, you can see here

https://youtu.be/RwESaaSf-cU?t=296

Passion64x wrote:
[2].THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

this worked, now it just whines sometimes and very little, barely noticeable..is this a common issue? if I rma my notebook for a new one should I expect that it will also have coil whine?

Passion64x wrote:
[[3] 2.2 Ghz is your base clock , if you want to enter turbo boost you have to stress 1-2 cores. you can also try intel xtu and check the boost multipliers and throttling . And it's win10 issue that your cpu is always on max clock , go into battery settings and change to moderate or saving power plan - it will allow processor to downclock itself when not under load.

this also worked, tnx

I also undrvolted my cpu with intel xtu, i set it to -0.160V and it's stable for 30 minutes now, on idle te temp is cca 47 and full load 70 degrees

is there a way to set xtu and throttlestop to run on boot?

and btw without undervolt idle temp is 55 and on full load 78...isn't the idle temp a bit to high there? and the fans never go complete silent while on my old gl552vw they went silent when temps droped under 50

You can try setting minimum processor state in your active power plan to like 5% it will let cpu to enter the lowest possible power state when idle , setting maximum processor state to 99% or lower will disable turbo boost and limit max state , setting the gpu mode to adaptive will let it downclock and reduce heat and temperature , so the fans will run quieter or stop.

I had a GL703 laptop with the exact same scratch noise problem as your video.

I ended up sending my laptop back through RMA. It seems the wiring to the speakers is getting some electrical interference somewhere. I hope they fix the problem, that scratchy noise is no fun in a quiet room.

vacs
Level 7
today i got a new one and the same problem, coil whine is still here and ram slot is not empty so I'm returning it and asking for my money back

does anyone not have the coil whine? I would still like this notebook as the specs are great for the price but if the coil whine is present on every unit of this model I'll have to pass

vacs
Level 7
got my 3rd gl503ge and the same problems are present so I kept it and decided to fix the above issues but there are some other things that bug me like

1. the fan speed which won't go bellow 1900 rpm no matter what i do, I tried limiting the max procesor state to 99% and even 40% just to see will the rpm drop but nothing, it's always between 1900 and 2000 in low load

I updated the bios to 308, I change the generic thermal paste to grizzly conductonaut since I had to disassembly it to upgrade the ram, undervolted my cpu with intel xtu by -150mV and set the fan speed via fn+f5 to silent and my temps are 43 celzius on idle and 71 on full load, I also tried to set the fan speed lower than 1900 rpm with msi afterburner but nothing happens

2. a) intel xtu doesn't work without rog gaming center
2. b) only gaming center 2.5.6 shows fan speed and a standard and extreme profile which are fully the same, newer versions don't

3. rog aura core is available only from ms store, like why? why would you put a simple app to control only the keyboard lightning there? luckily I foung a download link for the 1.0.4 version on some website

Hi,

You mean Game center 2.5.5 , don't think asus has newer version 2.5.6. that you talk.
vacs wrote:
got my 3rd gl503ge and the same problems are present so I kept it and decided to fix the above issues but there are some other things that bug me like

1. the fan speed which won't go bellow 1900 rpm no matter what i do, I tried limiting the max procesor state to 99% and even 40% just to see will the rpm drop but nothing, it's always between 1900 and 2000 in low load

I updated the bios to 308, I change the generic thermal paste to grizzly conductonaut since I had to disassembly it to upgrade the ram, undervolted my cpu with intel xtu by -150mV and set the fan speed via fn+f5 to silent and my temps are 43 celzius on idle and 71 on full load, I also tried to set the fan speed lower than 1900 rpm with msi afterburner but nothing happens

2. b) only gaming center 2.5.6 shows fan speed and a standard and extreme profile which are fully the same, newer versions don't

3. rog aura core is available only from ms store, like why? why would you put a simple app to control only the keyboard lightning there? luckily I foung a download link for the 1.0.4 version on some website

prevostmario wrote:
Hi,

You mean Game center 2.5.5 , don't think asus has newer version 2.5.6. that you talk.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/GL503GE/ROG_Gaming_Center_V256.zip?_ga=2.120271498.3057826...

here is 2.5.9 which gives me less features than 2.5.6

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/GM501GS/ROG_Gaming_Center_V259.zip?_ga=2.195779246.3057826...

I found the constant fan on my GL703GM was caused by the Asus Lighting Service (what makes the colours on the keyboard). Disable this service and see if it makes a difference as my fans are often off until needed

This worked whilst using throttlestop and having the Speed Shift setting at 128 with undervolt of -0.125v (no other settings touched). YMMV

vacs wrote: