Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I have to give kudos to Czech ASUS service, because guys are being really helpful in my case. Essentially I'm in a situation right now that if I send the laptop for another RMA, there is high probability I'll get the money back.

Thing is ... there is not much else to go instead of it. Dells at this pricepoint are ugly and have awful screens, MSI's have really small batteries and/or plastic build, Predators and Omens are extremely ugly. .... and all of these have some horror stories about coil whine too.

I'm clueless.
    Last edited by FarleyCZ; 12-12-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Typos

ROG Member Array

My main question right now is if there are gl503ge's without coil whine or it's somewhat common. My second mobo suggest it's a design problem, but dunno.

I'm really tempted to go to store tomorrow, locate the same laptop on display and check if it's quiet. I'll be looking wierd, but whatever. If there is a possibility to have perfect gl503ge, I want that before anything else. 😥

Quote Originally Posted by FarleyCZ View Post
    Thing is ... there is not much else to go instead of it. Dells at this pricepoint are ugly and have awful screens, MSI's have really small batteries and/or plastic build, Predators and Omens are extremely ugly. .... and all of these have some horror stories about coil whine too.
    It's exactly the same thing I thought, also in Italy there's nothing better in price/performance/quality ratio, at this time...
    With "power-saver-hack" for now it's okay. Way "quiter than 10db" (angry lol)

My main question right now is if there are gl503ge's without coil whine or it's somewhat common.
    That's a nice question, but usually who write in forums is who has problem.

I'm really tempted to go to store tomorrow, locate the same laptop on display and check if it's quiet. I'll be looking wierd, but whatever. If there is a possibility to have perfect gl503ge, I want that before anything else. 😥
    Good idea, DO IT!

I can't do this, it's not possible to found this laptop in physical stores here.

ROG Member Array

There is one in our capital city. And it's highly probable they will have one on display. I found out unexpectedly I do have free time tomorrow. It's a fair bit of a trip, but hell. I'll merge it with some christmas shopping.

ROG Member Array

Ok, the shop visit ended up as anticipated. They didn't have gl503ge on display. They did have tuf504 and gl504 both with 8th gen processors and I didn't hear anything out of them, BUT there was a lot of ambient noise. (phone showed 50 to 60db)
    ...so I know nothing.

The nicely upgradable Dell G5 chassis I didn't like that much and the idea of buying anything else and sending it all the way to another service center to get my drives and RAM in there is really annoying.

I'll try to ask the service center for complete replacement of the laptop, but ... dunno. Seems like sticking with this one is also an option at the end.

They won...
    Last edited by FarleyCZ; 12-13-2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Typos

They won...
    Sad story.

ROG Member Array

Btw been in Leipzig for last two days and appeared in a computer store that was quite silent. So I listened to few 8th gen laptops they had on display and I heard the scratching from new Asus ZenBook Pro 15. 8thgen i7, gtx 1050.

Doesn't help, but interesting.

So, seems all the laptop with hi-power i7 8th gen are affected... but perhaps people don't care or for some reason they don't listen the noise.

ROG Member Array

I'm not sure if all of them. A guy on LTT forum with brand new 8th gen i7 Alienware told me his doesn't produce any sound. But it seems to be a bit more frequent than it was in former gens.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Bios 312 is out, will try it later today...i hope there is some improvement regarding the coil whine

Edit: nothing new, same ****
    Last edited by vacs; 12-19-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast