Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FarleyCZ View Post
    My main question right now is if there are gl503ge's without coil whine or it's somewhat common. My second mobo suggest it's a design problem, but dunno.

I'm really tempted to go to store tomorrow, locate the same laptop on display and check if it's quiet. I'll be looking wierd, but whatever. If there is a possibility to have perfect gl503ge, I want that before anything else. ��
    I tried this out.. to my surprise the display unit has the same issue! You will just hardly notice it because its inside a mall.. unfortunately they wont return my money for this laptop although I haven't tried harder as im still satisfied with the performance.. It's just that coil noise I wanted to get rid of.

On the other hand, all i can do now is a hot fix and no idea if its safe or not in the long run. Kindly see reference screenshot below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powermngmnt.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	78092
    So basically im just creating power plans that limits the maximum performance of CPU. This also somehow helps on the overall temperature.. The only downside I get is switching Power Plans every time you wanted to crank up your processing speed and returning it back when you are back to a peaceful silent place. Let me know if this works..

But still a fix from ASUS will be entirely great than this!
    Last edited by JMarvic; 01-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JMarvic View Post
    I tried this out.. to my surprise the display unit has the same issue! You will just hardly notice it because its inside a mall..
    So it was either a really big bunch of them with the problem, or it's completely random and still present on newer pieces of the same model. Still not cool. Have you tried contacting the authorized service center? Stores tend to be a breaking point in this. If Asus themselves admit it's unrepairable, your store might be obliged to return you the money. If it annoys you more in the future, you should try this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMarvic View Post
    So basically im just creating power plans that limits the maximum performance of CPU. This also somehow helps on the overall temperature.. The only downside I get is switching Power Plans every time you wanted to crank up your processing speed and returning it back when you are back to a peaceful silent place. Let me know if this works..

But still a fix from ASUS will be entirely great than this!
    Hi, check my post:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge4#post749830

So it was either a really big bunch of them with the problem, or it's completely random and still present on newer pieces of the same model. Still not cool. Have you tried contacting the authorized service center? Stores tend to be a breaking point in this. If Asus themselves admit it's unrepairable, your store might be obliged to return you the money. If it annoys you more in the future, you should try this.
    I've contacted Asus before Xmas and they answered that are working on the problem... still waiting.

New ROGer Array

Angry No coil whining, but still LOUD..

I came across this thread when googling for replacement fans for my unit, and ended up reading the whole thing.

Just so we're clear, I do not have the scar edition. However, specs on mine appear roughly the same. I have the GL503GE strix hero edition, purchased around May 2018 from Amazon. It has the i7-8750h, 16gigs ram, gtx 1050ti, and 120hz display. I believe it came with a 128gb nvme SSD and a 1tb sshd. I replaced the sshd for the SSD I pulled from my previous laptop.

The good news: I haven't experienced any coil whine on my unit!

The bad news: both fans are running at what seems to be like 200%, at least 2/3 of the time it's on. It varies tremendously, though. I can have one tab of Chrome open, plus a notepad open, and it seriously sounds like an airplane is taking off. On the other hand, there are times I can have 150+ tabs open in Chrome, with Illustrator & Firefox Dev running in the background, plus several other programs, and it'll be completely silent.

The noise has gotten to become somewhat embarrassing, as my co-workers have made my machine the victim of their jokes about 'why I brought a bomb to work', and 'you never told me you knew were a pilot', etc.
    It was all fun and games, until yesterday. I was at our annual meeting for 2019's budget with the director and owners of my company, and I was literally asked by one of the owners to shut down my laptop and put it away, as it was too distracting to everyone else in the meeting.

This is a business device. My company agreed to pay for it. I boasted very highly about it's impressive specs, and assured them it would last many years. Now my judgement is being questioned because of a ridiculous fan issue, and that's got me pretty irritated. Not to mention, if the fans are already failing, there's no telling what else could go wrong with it. There's no reason at all that I, or any one else, should be experiencing these problems on a laptop purchased so recently.

Currently, they are going at full speed, almost 7000RPMs. It seems to start up about 3 minutes after the device powers on. I do have it undervolted with throttlestop. Cpu core & cache are both at -150.4mV, while Intel GPU is at -85mV. It is almost always laying flat on a desk, so airflow isn't being restricted. I have opened the laptop and cleaned out the entire thing with pressurized air. It seems to help for a couple days, and then the problem returns. ROG Gaming Center has fans set to balanced. Changing this setting to silent appears to have no effect whatsoever.

I don't think it is an issue of overheating, seeing as my core temp is only 36C as I type this. My house and office ambient temps are normally kept no higher than 72F. I did inspect the thermal paste. It does seem to be poorly applied, and will be ordering some Kryonaut or Conductonaut later today. That may help by lowering those temps even further, but I'm not very hopeful.

BIOS & drivers all got updated last night via the Asus Support site. I have also tried SpeedFan, and 2 other programs that were supposed to allow me to override fan speeds, but none of them have worked.

At this point, I am pretty convinced my fans are crapping out on me. I think I've checked off just about everything else. I am considering trying the registry edit / disable c1e thing, but I don't know if it will have any effect at all.

Any suggestions, or anything I've missed?

Also, does anyone know a reliable source where I can order replacement parts for this device?

ROG Member Array

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe fan speeds are cotrolled by PWM straight from the motherborard. Seems like something went wrong there. Replacing fans probably won't help. ...but that should be something covered under warranty. Just keep your fingers crossed that they won't replace it with a one that whines.

ROG Member Array

Seems like ASUS confirmed unrepairability on my unit. Funny part: Technician that was dismounting my drives was not the one that was mounting them in, so he forgot about the hidden expansion RAM slot and didn't send me back the RAM module I had there.

Anyway, waiting for ASUS to give me a call about the refund. I have to give kudos to Czech branch of ASUS. I have no idea if that whole problem is their or on Intel's fault, but they handled my request really nicely. Their local support is awesome.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Seems like ASUS confirmed unrepairability on my unit. Funny part: Technician that was dismounting my drives was not the one that was mounting them in, so he forgot about the hidden expansion RAM slot and didn't send me back the RAM module I had there.

Anyway, waiting for ASUS to give me a call about the refund. I have to give kudos to Czech branch of ASUS. I have no idea if that whole problem is their or on Intel's fault, but they handled my request really nicely. Their local support is awesome.
    I told everyone from the beggining. "Don't waste your time with an RMA, they wont fix it, because there's "nothing" to fix. All of them come out of the factory like this."
    Return it and get a refund, that's the only way to fix it.
    To fix that they would have to redesign the PCB and probably use different components. Not gonna happen. MY GL502 also has a bit of a coil whine, but it's barely noticeable. Same thing with my old Lenovo y510p, it has some coil whine specially when idling.

ROG Enthusiast Array

same coil whine on gl704gm

New ROGer Array

I have the same issue, but the way I think is should work is a bit different

I also own the GL503GE, and the fan used to be very loud, which is fine with me, since I'm using a gaming laptop. And the performance is fine for me, the CPU get the high Clock speed under load, the tem is a bit high, but it fine because I get the performance that I paid. But since the update of the BIOS, the Power Limit (PL1) make this Laptop become Under Power. Not only that, the fan also run slower that it use to be. Why Asus, I know that you don't want this laptop to run loud, and if what I bought is a Ultrabook, I agree. But I didn't buy a slim and light device, I bought a gaming Laptop, and all I what to do is using it as the way all gaming laptops are used. So Pls Asus, if you reading this, pls update the BIOS, give us the option to use all is power because I believe that I'm not the only one who buy this laptop for content creation. Tks for reading.

ROG Enthusiast Array

doesn't disabling C1E make the system even louder, because there is less power saving, and more energy goes into the CPU > so more heat.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast