Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

@jurosora

I used this fix that Passion64x posted and I don't have to disable Turbo Boost, mine runs on full performance and without thermal throtteling, just he fan noise now bugs me

Quote Originally Posted by Passion64x View Post
    [1]. Free slot could be under the existing ram , try removing it .
    [2].THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
    Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
    1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

New ROGer Array

Unhappy Coil Whine Fix

No official fix for this problem?

This sound is getting more annoying by the day. No, I do not want to replace the sound with fan noise when applying the tips on this page. Please give official solution to GL503GE coil whine.

ROG Enthusiast Array

So I did a lot more digging on my issue. It wasn't a speaker issue. It's not an SSD issue. It's coil whine. Specifically, there is some part above the processor socket that's causing it.

I've tried two RMAs so far. No luck, they keep fixing an unrelated part and not checking if the fix worked. Someone from ASUS support reached out to me to see if the problem is fixed, I responded, but I haven't heard back yet.

I tried the "suck it up and deal with it" attitude for a while. I just couldn't handle it. It drives me batty. The other proposed fixes literally reduce your CPU usage 30-50%, and in my case, are finicky, sometimes lowers the whine, but sometimes the problem comes right back. Downgrading my laptop for a partial fix isn't enough.

It's at the point where if this issue can't get fixed, I'd go out and buy a replacement laptop and let this ASUS laptop gather dust. I figure I'd use my laptop all day for three years, so a laptop costs me about $2 a day, and I'd gladly pay $2 a day to not hear that coil whine.

ROG Enthusiast Array

use the fix above to turn off C1E and the whine is gone...I sent asus an email to unlock our bios to let us set the C1E off on boot and they just responded "tnx for reaching out to us"

I think we need a youtube celebrity to address this issue like Dave2D did with apple, shortly after his video apple fix the issue and I believe that asus would too if we draw enough attention

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

GL502VSK same scratchy noise when moving mouse. Already in RMA.

Windows 10 our-of-box or you reinstalled?

Someone on this forum mentioned that this trouble is somehow connected with speakers wiring touchin PCB.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    GL502VSK same scratchy noise when moving mouse. Already in RMA.

Windows 10 our-of-box or you reinstalled?

Someone on this forum mentioned that this trouble is somehow connected with speakers wiring touchin PCB.
    That's coil whine. My gl502vsk does the same when it's idling and you move the mouse. Don't waste your time with an RMA, they wont fix it, because there's "nothing" to fix. All of them come out of the factory like this.

ROG Enthusiast Array

My problem: I spent more of my time in Linux than in Windows. The Windows registry downgrade/hack mentioned earlier won't work in LInux, it still screeches away there.

The issue is fundamentally a hardware problem, and all the workarounds slow the laptop down significantly, and don't really fix anything.

I've been able to track it down to some component just above the CPU socket, underneath a copper heat sink. It's not the SSD, it's not a speaker wire. It's coil whine. I think the only route available is a motherboard replacement, given that the component is directly attached to the motherboard.

ROG Enthusiast Array

> use the fix above to turn off C1E and the whine is gone...

I just tried it. Throttlestop gave me a message that it doesn't support my CPU, then refused to load further.

ROG Enthusiast Array

So I was wrong in one thing. The registry fix doesn't downgrade performance in any way, it just turns of Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI) intel C states, which help lower power usage when the computer is idling.

I ran a benchmark test with the registry fix applied and without it, and they were almost identical in performance (couldn't tell that one was better than the other, any minor variations in timings seem to be the usual variance in testing.)

Further, the noise *mostly* goes way, it is similar to setting the processor usage to 99% or unplugging the battery. Instead of a constant screech intermixed with a high pitched whine, it's much better. I'll still hear a few "taps" a second, and occasionally I'll hear a high pitched whine for a few seconds, but overall, it's much better than before.

Further, I believe APCI can be used to disable intel C states in Linux, I just need to research exactly how. I'm almost half tempted to open up the case and put a dab of hot glue on the offending part, I read that it sometimes helps. Ultimately, ASUS should be replacing this motherboard. They claim their warranty covers coil whine, but they won't fix the part that causes the coil whine. They want me to ship it back for a third RMA, and I have low expectations they'll fix it...
    Last edited by helix400; 08-02-2018 at 09:14 PM.

ROG Member Array

Hi,

You mean Game center 2.5.5 , don't think asus has newer version 2.5.6. that you talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by vacs View Post
    got my 3rd gl503ge and the same problems are present so I kept it and decided to fix the above issues but there are some other things that bug me like

1. the fan speed which won't go bellow 1900 rpm no matter what i do, I tried limiting the max procesor state to 99% and even 40% just to see will the rpm drop but nothing, it's always between 1900 and 2000 in low load

I updated the bios to 308, I change the generic thermal paste to grizzly conductonaut since I had to disassembly it to upgrade the ram, undervolted my cpu with intel xtu by -150mV and set the fan speed via fn+f5 to silent and my temps are 43 celzius on idle and 71 on full load, I also tried to set the fan speed lower than 1900 rpm with msi afterburner but nothing happens

2. a) intel xtu doesn't work without rog gaming center
    2. b) only gaming center 2.5.6 shows fan speed and a standard and extreme profile which are fully the same, newer versions don't

3. rog aura core is available only from ms store, like why? why would you put a simple app to control only the keyboard lightning there? luckily I foung a download link for the 1.0.4 version on some website

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast