cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen problem with G703GI

Gustave
Level 9
Hi All,

Today, while working in Photoshop, i noticed strange bars and colors on my screen. I also noticed a dent in my right speaker. So this let me to think that my screen was closed by someone (housekeeping lady, someone else) with an object lying between the notebook above the keyboard and the right speaker which damaged the speaker grill and maybe the screen. I tried several things to see if the screen artifacts stayed or disappeared but this was not the case, at first. I arranged for an RMA immediately to have the screen repaired. But now, after a while, the strange bars and colors have disappeared and all seems fine again.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of screen misbehavior? See the attached images (also the dent speaker grill). Do I have to worry? Thanks in advance for a reply.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 REPLIES 5

CHowell27
Level 7
Hopefully it's just LVDS cable damage and nothing on the display panel's board. That's where I'd start

Gustave
Level 9
The artifacts disappeared as fast as they popped up. All fine now but it leaves an uneasy feeling.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MrRuckus
Level 10
I would feel uneasy as well if it just fixed itself.

I havent experienced any artifacting like that. Looks like some pretty good damage to the speaker grill. The hinges on this laptop are VERY sturdy and robust. There's no give whatsoever so if something was placed under the screen and it was closed, I wouldnt be surprised if it pushed enough in to cause something to pinch and damage. The ribbon for the display could run in that area under the bezel. Hard to say without tearing down the display.

Im also not even sure Asus would cover this repair under the ADP:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/693/

"ASUS ADP does NOT apply to the following: scratches and dents"
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Gustave
Level 9
Thanks for looking into my post. I got a pick-up request to have it repaired but since the artifacts went away and I have some projects setup on the Chimera, I'll wait and see how things develope before sending it in for repar. Also because if I do sent it in and they cannot find anything it would be in vain anyway. (Apart from the dent speaker ofcourse).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gustave
Level 9
Thanks for looking into my post. I got a pick-up request to have it repaired but since the artifacts went away and I have some projects setup on the Chimera, I'll wait and see how things develope before sending it in for repar. Also because if I do sent it in and they cannot find anything it would be in vain anyway. (Apart from the dent speaker ofcourse).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]