cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows nor bios not detecting RAID 0 after being created

dnpg607
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a R4E BF3 edition and noticed there are 4 sata III ports. I am currently using the Corsair Force 3 as my boot drive and 2 OCZ Agility 3 as my raid 0 setup. When I installed windows and setup the raid it wasn't detected even though the raid was on the intel controller instead of the asmedia controller, which in the end I created it using the windows software. I made sure it was set on AHCI when I installed windows and switched it to RAID when I created the array. I wish to reformat and set it up the RAID thru bios instead. I contacted Asus support and they couldn't help me. I am hoping you guys can solve my problem. Thanks!

1. What is the proper way to setup the OS drive and RAID so when I bootup the RAID I created thru BIOS is detected ?
2. Will the Asmedia port recognize the OS drive even though there are no drivers installed?
3. Is it better to install the OS drive first on the intel controller and shift it over to the Asmedia controller afterward so I can setup the RAID on the intel controller?
4. Are the raid drivers necessary when installing windows even though the OS drive is standalone and the RAID is on a different drive?

Once again Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

VistaKing
Level 9
In the BIOS you would need to have the SATA CONFIGURATION setup to RAID even though you have 1 drive not in a RAID setup and the other 2 drives in a RAID setup. Can't have it setup as AHCI and RAID . When installing Windows you would need RAID drivers. Windows 7 has built-in drivers for SATA but not for RAID drivers. Id get the drivers off the Asus website http://tinyurl.com/6uux6pb . If you will be putting the 2 RAID hard drives on the Intel Controller get the Intel drivers for the RAID and press Ctrl+I to choose which drives you want to have in a RAID 0 setup. Once you have that setup inside the screen where you want to install OS you will see a " load drivers" click that and install the RAID drivers. Once that is completed you could press Refresh and you should see your single hard drive and your RAID setup.

You could also try this if you will be installing Windows on the single hard drive and have the RAID as a storage setup.

1.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastorv
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3. In the details pane, right-click Start, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
5. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
6. Install the RAID driver by using the installation media, or download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer's Web site.
7. Shut down your computer and install the Raid disk in the computer.
8. Restart your computer.

Created by DaemonCantor and Adam

VistaKing wrote:
In the BIOS you would need to have the SATA CONFIGURATION setup to RAID even though you have 1 drive not in a RAID setup and the other 2 drives in a RAID setup. Can't have it setup as AHCI and RAID . When installing Windows you would need RAID drivers. Windows 7 has built-in drivers for SATA but not for RAID drivers. Id get the drivers off the Asus website http://tinyurl.com/6uux6pb . If you will be putting the 2 RAID hard drives on the Intel Controller get the Intel drivers for the RAID and press Ctrl+I to choose which drives you want to have in a RAID 0 setup. Once you have that setup inside the screen where you want to install OS you will see a " load drivers" click that and install the RAID drivers. Once that is completed you could press Refresh and you should see your single hard drive and your RAID setup.

You could also try this if you will be installing Windows on the single hard drive and have the RAID as a storage setup.

1.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastorv
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3. In the details pane, right-click Start, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
5. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
6. Install the RAID driver by using the installation media, or download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer's Web site.
7. Shut down your computer and install the Raid disk in the computer.
8. Restart your computer.

Thanks Vistaking! Appreciate the Help 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice response VistaKing - would rep you mate but the button is still not working for me.

Welcome to the forum dnpg607 and what he said 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Nice response VistaKing - would rep you mate but the button is still not working for me.

Welcome to the forum dnpg607 and what he said 🙂

Thanks for the welcome HiVizMan! Glad to be part of RoG finally :cool:

BenZman
Level 7
hey mate this didn't work for me, where it says to load drivers i load em up thru my usb flash drive it starts loading untill it stops andd says contact your vendor"drivers out off date" i tried newest drivers i could of find for intel c600 from stationdrivers.com but same thing,i tried it from intel website as well and no luck any ideas please help!! thanx in advance

HiVizMan
Level 40
BenZman if you are using a 64bit OS you should ideally have a SP1 version of OS.

There should be no need or requirement to install any drivers during the OS install process really. I install maybe 10 OS a week and most of them are RAID1 systems. All I do start my install with only my RAID array (the hard drives I use for the actual RAID) connected to the motherboad.

I do the Ctl-I thing and set up my RAID.
When prompted to upgrade or custom install the OS I custom install.
Selected the array as the place to install and let the OS do the rest. I do nothing more at all. And it works:)

If you get stuck mate please be so kind as start your own thread so that we do not clutter this one up. 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.