cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden asmedia USB problems Asus rampage vi extreme

dandan112988
Level 7
Hello all, I recently noticed that my headset that is plugged into the bottom red USB port stopped lighting up. It seems like this port no longer works out of the blue. I believe this is the only port controlled my the asmedia chip, I think all others are controlled by intel. So I update the USB drivers in the device manager menu, asmedia extensible and asmedia root up do show in the device manager without flags, but for some reason it doesn't detect what I plug in to the red USB port. I tired the USB C port as well with a USB stick, which i believe is also ASMEDIA controlled. The USB stick lights, indicating power, but the drive is NOT detected in the system. So it seems that my ASMEDIA chip is glitched. I dont believe it failed because it still shows in device manager. Things I did to trouble shoot this issue:

Reinstalled windows using recovery
reinstalled windows using windows CD
Uninstalled all USB devices in device manager, restart so they can reload
Right clicked and updated all usb devices in the device manager
Flash to the most recent 1401 bios
flash to a previous bios to see if there is any difference

Am I missing something here? Any ideas what this could be or why both red USB and the USB C port would just stop working in the back? Ports were inspected as well and found to have no visible damage to the port. Any ideas would really be appreciated, I've spent hours and hours trying to fix this issue with no resolution.

Thanks for reading.
7 REPLIES 7

ExcessiveGBH
Level 8
First of all you don't have your system specs in signature.
Dose this still happen at BIOS default settings?
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

ExcessiveGBH wrote:
First of all you don't have your system specs in signature.
Dose this still happen at BIOS default settings?

Yes it does do it at default bios settings. the bios is 1401, newest. the specs are

7900X
32 GB 3200 MHZ gskill trident Z
1080 ti SLI asus strix
Samsung 950 pro boot drive

windows 1803 newest update .

seems to have started after I updated both bios and windows, but not even rolling back both doesn't get the ports to work.

dandan112988 wrote:
Yes it does do it at default bios settings. the bios is 1401, newest. the specs are

7900X
32 GB 3200 MHZ gskill trident Z
1080 ti SLI asus strix
Samsung 950 pro boot drive

windows 1803 newest update .

seems to have started after I updated both bios and windows, but not even rolling back both doesn't get the ports to work.

Have you cleard CMOS before updating BIOS?

I see that you have light showing on headset, generally means no voltage from USB port or open circuit somewhere on headset.
Check USB port with multi meter if you have one.
Also just check in BIOS that they haven't been disabled.
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

ExcessiveGBH wrote:
Have you cleard CMOS before updating BIOS?

I see that you have light showing on headset, generally means no voltage from USB port or open circuit somewhere on headset.
Check USB port with multi meter if you have one.
Also just check in BIOS that they haven't been disabled.

solved. This disappearing asmedia chip was caused by a fault secondary monitor display connection into the gpu. Who would have thought that could affect a usb asmedia chip. I read about it in another forum with another Asus motherboard and it was the same problem. Faulty display cable on secondary monitor or a glitch with running two via display port. But once the secondary monitor was plugged via hdmi the problem went away. Weird

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
yep. I heard about that also. it is something not hardware. is software base issue. I have start seeing that since 1803 I can no use my headphones in USB. or being connected in usb. I have 2 144hz monitors in DP. so I have to almost turn on the computer with 1 monitor. for some issue unknown to me and for some there is, to apper to have a issue with the nvidia drivers and a specific scenario. example. 1 external WD drive BSOD the computer if load attach on the computer. on event viewer the error critical is a crash on the video driver. I can not make sense to it. I all ready please a order to new cables since 1 is not a good quality but good cables are expensive and one is 10feet that I have to replace
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
yep. I heard about that also. it is something not hardware. is software base issue. I have start seeing that since 1803 I can no use my headphones in USB. or being connected in usb. I have 2 144hz monitors in DP. so I have to almost turn on the computer with 1 monitor. for some issue unknown to me and for some there is, to apper to have a issue with the nvidia drivers and a specific scenario. example. 1 external WD drive BSOD the computer if load attach on the computer. on event viewer the error critical is a crash on the video driver. I can not make sense to it. I all ready please a order to new cables since 1 is not a good quality but good cables are expensive and one is 10feet that I have to replace

Yeah, its a strange problem because I would never connect a bad display port cable with the loss of an USB asmedia controller. It seems completely separate. Ever since i disconnected one of the display port cables and switched it to HDMI for my secondary monitor everything has been running flawlessly.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Its not all that strange when you consider the USB is being sent down the DP cable for use if wanted. Sounds like you have a short in the cable or connetor in the monitor.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein