cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080TI fans spinning up and down constantly

Arnifix
Level 7
Hi all, hoping someone has some suggestions here. I have a Strix 1080TI and I'm trying to have it run completely silently. The difficulty being, it tends to fluctuate between 50 and 57 degrees, with it normally sitting square on 54. Every few seconds the fan will start to spin up, hit around 3%, then spin down again. The temperature remains stable. This is really really irritating, as I was going for a near silent build, and everything else is almost completely silent, except for this constant ramp up and down of the fan.

I have seen others post about this issue and recommend using GPUTweakII or MSI Afterburner to change the fan curve, or add some hysteresis so the fan won't turn on and off exactly on 55, but nothing I have tried thusfar has worked, the fan continues to come on and off. The only thing I have noticed does change is that if I increase the fan percentage via GPUTweak for example, the fan will try and throttle up to that percentage rather than to 3%, then will switch off again.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing this issue, or a method by which to resolve it?
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
1080Ti and silent don't go hand in hand. You can eliminate most of it by raising the cut on point and tweaking the curves which it sounds like you are on the right path. Ambient temps play a role in it too. Im running two and they are extremely quiet.....mostly because the fans and stock heat sinks have been replaced by EKWB.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
1080Ti and silent don't go hand in hand. You can eliminate most of it by raising the cut on point and tweaking the curves which it sounds like you are on the right path. Ambient temps play a role in it too. Im running two and they are extremely quiet.....mostly because the fans and stock heat sinks have been replaced by EKWB.
Thanks, I am hoping to avoid the necessity to avoid spending more money replacing the fans or the heatsinks on an already very pricey card.

The problem I have is (I would have thought) quite simple. I want to disable the fans until the temperature reaches a higher level, then have some hysteresis to prevent the fan from going into an on-off loop. I haven't been able to do this with either MSI Afterburner or Asus GPUTweakII (neither of which resolve the constant fan spin up/spin down at 55 degrees).

Are there any other tools I might be able to use that you know of?

JustinThyme
Level 13
GPU tweak did it for me for the very short duration while the board was out of the case before I implemented water cooling.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein