cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Code - odd XMP behavior

Saintfurion
Level 7
Hi all, I have a Maximus X Code (latest BIOS) and a 32 GB G.Skill 3200 kit, rated for CL14.

XMP works fine, but I've noticed it raises the vcore (stock 8700k) from 1.1-1.2 to 1.3-1.34. So I tried manually entering the RAM settings and the same thing happens. Now what's odd is if i go from XMP or Manual back to Auto...the motherboard retains all of the XMP settings (instead of defaulting back to 2133), but my vcore goes back down to 1.1. Is there some hidden setting being tripped somewhere?

Ultimately it's not a big deal as I plan on OC'ing the 8700k and will manually dial in the voltage, but it seems like odd behavior. Any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10

Menthol
Level 14
XMP can change settings that are not visible in the bios, sometimes a clear CMOS is needed to reset all bios settings to default, I wouldn't worry much until you dial in your overclock.

Saintfurion
Level 7
Thanks. Yeah, looks like the NB frequency (is that uncore?) is being increased with XMP as well.

Nate152
Hi Saintfurion

Yep, NB frequency is the uncore = cpu cache.

It's normal for the board to overvolt the cpu at default settings.

Try setting your ram manually, after saving and exiting go back in the bios and check the CPU VCCIO voltage and CPU System Agent voltage, these will likely overvolted as well. For your configuration, anywhere from 1.15v - 1.25v should be enough for both.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Saintfurion

Yep, NB frequency is the uncore = cpu cache.

It's normal for the board to overvolt the cpu at default settings.

Try setting your ram manually, after saving and exiting go back in the bios and check the CPU VCCIO voltage and CPU System Agent voltage, these will likely overvolted as well. For your configuration, anywhere from 1.15v - 1.25v should be enough for both.

Any performance benefit with this generation of I7 of having the uncore/cpu cache overclocked as well? Or should I just manually enter my RAM settings and avoid the overclocked cache in hope of better temps?

Nate152
Well, get your ram stable then overclock your cpu/cpu cache. The cpu core and cpu cache voltage are tied together so once you find your max stable core overclock, you can take what the cache will give you.

Saintfurion
Level 7
Sorry to beat this dead horse...but is the NB frequency reported on CPU-Z the same as the cache speed?

When I set XMP, the BIOS reports the Target Cache Frequency as 4500 mhz, CPU-Z reports the NB frequency as the same.

When I manually enter my RAM settings, the BIOS reports Target Cache at 4700 mhz, but CPU-Z reports the NB frequency as 4100 mhz.

To make it even more confusing (for me), I have noticed that regardless of whether I pick XMP or Manual...if BCLK is set to Auto, then the Target Cache frequency in the BIOS reads 4700, but 4100 in CPU-Z. If the BCLK is entered as 100, then the bios reads 4500, and 4500 in CPU-Z. Which makes no sense to me since Auto is 100 for the BCLK anyways. But this one setting seems to change the Cache Frequency and also slightly increases the CPU System Agent Voltage.

I'm lost!

EDIT: And to be perfectly clear...I am not trying to squeeze out extra performance from the RAM...just want it to run at the advertised speeds of 3200 and CL14....which it does, but the whole Cache/NB frequency stuff is confusing me.

Saintfurion wrote:
Sorry to beat this dead horse...but is the NB frequency reported on CPU-Z the same as the cache speed?

When I set XMP, the BIOS reports the Target Cache Frequency as 4500 mhz, CPU-Z reports the NB frequency as the same.

When I manually enter my RAM settings, the BIOS reports Target Cache at 4700 mhz, but CPU-Z reports the NB frequency as 4100 mhz.

To make it even more confusing (for me), I have noticed that regardless of whether I pick XMP or Manual...if BCLK is set to Auto, then the Target Cache frequency in the BIOS reads 4700, but 4100 in CPU-Z. If the BCLK is entered as 100, then the bios reads 4500, and 4500 in CPU-Z. Which makes no sense to me since Auto is 100 for the BCLK anyways. But this one setting seems to change the Cache Frequency and also slightly increases the CPU System Agent Voltage.

I'm lost!

EDIT: And to be perfectly clear...I am not trying to squeeze out extra performance from the RAM...just want it to run at the advertised speeds of 3200 and CL14....which it does, but the whole Cache/NB frequency stuff is confusing me.

What bios version are you using ?
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
What bios version are you using ?

I suppose setting BCLK manually to 100 seems to make the BIOS think you are about to do some BCLK overclocking and it automatically ups your vcore to like 1.36 or something.

Again, not a big deal as most of us will dial in voltages anyways.

Anybody know why the NB frequency/uncore/cache frequency that CPU-Z reports is sometimes different than what the BIOS reports?

Saintfurion wrote:

I suppose setting BCLK manually to 100 seems to make the BIOS think you are about to do some BCLK overclocking and it automatically ups your vcore to like 1.36 or something.

Again, not a big deal as most of us will dial in voltages anyways.

Anybody know why the NB frequency/uncore/cache frequency that CPU-Z reports is sometimes different than what the BIOS reports?

The NB frequency in CPUZ reports different than in bios...my NB reads 45 in bios and reports 47 in CPUZ for some reason with the 8086K.....only since bios 1401..it was reading correctly @ 45 on previous bios 1003.....there are issues with this bios that nobody seems to want to address...ATM...
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D