cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage V Extreme power cycle problem

Raphael_Mustang
Level 7
Hi everyone, yesterday i had to do a maintenance and change my chassis on my water cooled computer, and well i was actually expecting some problems but this one was not really what i was expecting, it was working fine before this maintenance, now the system after a complete shutdown acts a bit strange, when i turn it on, it goes off after 1 second, and then comes back on, everytime.
like when you overclock or change memory settings it should happen but only once, now even when everything is loaded by default also happens and it happens every single time that i turn on the computer, i even tried to flash bios but no luck.
here is my specs:
Asus Rampage V Extreme
Intel I7 5930k
GSkill ripjaws 4 32GB 8X4GB
Nvidia GTX 980 X2 SLI
Soundblaster ZX
also 3 SSD and 4 hard drives are attached to the computer, not sure if it's related to the current problem, i tried disabling fast boot, removing and resitting graphic cards, clear cmos and bios reflash didn't help, i'm out of ideas, and also a few times it got stuck in booting up and the error code i got from mainboard was 64, it should be about CPU and memory as far as i saw others talking in other forums but in this maintenance i didn't touch anything about memory and CPU at all.
anyone has any idea or suggestion where the problem might be?
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sounds like you are losing your 5V standby where it will act like it does when there is a loss of power. Check for shorts. If it continues pull the MOBO from the case and attempt it on top of a box. Either something is not connected or its getting shorted out or power supply is heading south for the summer.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Raphael_Mustang
Level 7
Thanks for the fast reply, alright i will check for it now.

Raphael_Mustang
Level 7
UPDATE:
i have tried a few things, took the board out and tested it, it was working fine, after a few tries with different things suddenly i managed to fix things inside the case too, so last night i finished the build, played around a little with the computer and then before i go to sleep i realized one of my graphic cards is not working, and not detected at all.
tried resitting it, power cycles different cables and... nothing works, before i flush out the water i want to know one thing.
first at one point the cpu waterblock was putting too much pressure on CPU that the mainboard wouldn't power on at all, so i had to loosen up the screws a little bit to get it working, and now i want to know, if the cpu itself is damaged, can it fail to detect a certain PCI-E slot on mainboard? can it cause that to happen? because i know some CPU's can be damaged and fail to recognize certain memory slots but i don't know about PCI-E slots, if anyone knows something i'm really in urgent need here, so thank you in advance.

new update, i took out both graphics, tried another graphic card on the 3rd PCI-E slot which was failing to see the graphic card, and still it fails to see the new graphic card, mainboard gives me error code 96, any thought on that? also the LED indicator for PCI-E next to debug LED does not light up for the VGA, not sure if it helps, but in overall the graphic card is not detected in that slot at all.

MENINBLK
Level 7
Hello Raphael Mustang,

Check your CPU pads on the underside. Make sure they are all clean.
Check the CPU tp make sure it is straight and it is not broken on one corner.
Check your socket with a magnifying glass for bent pins.
If ALL the pins do not securely connect to the CPU, you will not get all the PCIe lanes to work.

Reinstall the CPU and the cooler and check the screws you are using for the cooler.
The mounting screws should be just long enough for you to tighten hand tight and be fully seated.
If it is too tight, you may be using the wrong mounting screws.

Assemble all of this on a table on the motherboard box or a large piece of corrugated cardboard.
Power it up and test it prior to reinstalling into your chassis.

When installing everything back into your chassis, be careful not to overtighten anything including the motherboard mounting screws.
Motherboards are multi-layered. If you tighten the mounting screws too tight, you run the chance of creating shorts between the PC Board layers.

Just plan on having more than enough time to complete the task prior to tearing everything down
and take your time rebuilding everything and test it along the way.

Also check all the switches on the motherboard itself.
ASUS has diagnostic switches that can disable the PCIe slots.
Make sure they are all turned on.

Pete...

Raphael_Mustang
Level 7
Hello again
I have tried almost everything you said pete and thanks fir reply, but I didn’t see any problem with cou pins, and outside the box also everything was same, no today i encountered another problem, first when computer was completely off, it turned on by itself, then i shut it down and after a few hours i turned it on again to see how it goes, it stuck in booting bios q code shows 04 which is pch problem according to manual, but on the right side of the 24 pin the red led for cpu is on, so i have a question here, when I don’t have access to another x99 mainboard and cpu, and i can only find a new mainboard around here and no cpu for x99, how can i make sure which one is at fault? Because I don’t want to buy a new mainboard and have it in my hands without cpu, also i checkedd it’s not power issue i changed the power supply to another unit problem did not solve, any ideas how to find out the faulty one here? Between cpu and mainboard?*

Raphael Mustang wrote:
Hello again
I have tried almost everything you said pete and thanks for reply, but I didn’t see any problem with cpu pins, and outside the box also everything was same, no today i encountered another problem, first when computer was completely off, it turned on by itself, then i shut it down and after a few hours i turned it on again to see how it goes, it stuck in booting bios q code shows 04 which is pch problem according to manual, but on the right side of the 24 pin the red led for cpu is on, so i have a question here, when I don’t have access to another x99 mainboard and cpu, and i can only find a new mainboard around here and no cpu for x99, how can i make sure which one is at fault? Because I don’t want to buy a new mainboard and have it in my hands without cpu, also i checked it’s not power issue i changed the power supply to another unit problem did not solve, any ideas how to find out the faulty one here? Between cpu and mainboard?*

Raphael,
The PCH/PCI Controller is embedded inside the 5930K CPU.
5820K CPUs are on ebay BUY IT NOW for about $210 - $250.
5930K CPUs are on ebay BUY IT NOW for about $240.
You could always use either cpu as a spare test cpu.
If the board gives you the same problems, then the board was damaged when the cpu cooling block was tightened down.
You could try blaming the cpu cooler block manufacturer for not providing the proper fasteners.
I have only used EKWB CPU Cooling Blocks and they are hand tighten until seated fully.
Their mounting screws are spring loaded and screw down by hand until fully seated.
They make no room for error.

Sorry I can't think of any other solutions.

alfaniterex
Level 7
Raphael Mustang wrote:
Hi everyone, yesterday i had to do a maintenance and change my chassis on my water cooled computer, and well i was actually expecting some problems but this one was not really what i was expecting, it was working fine before this maintenance, now the system after a complete shutdown acts a bit strange, when i turn it on, it goes off after 1 second, and then comes back on, everytime.
like when you overclock or change memory settings it should happen but only once, now even when everything is loaded by default also happens and it happens every single time that i turn on the computer, i even tried to flash bios but no luck.
here is my specs:
Asus Rampage V Extreme
Intel I7 5930k
GSkill ripjaws 4 32GB 8X4GB
Nvidia GTX 980 X2 SLI
Soundblaster ZX
also 3 SSD and 4 hard drives are attached to the computer, not sure if it's related to the current problem, i tried disabling fast boot, removing and resitting graphic cards, clear cmos and bios reflash didn't help, i'm out of ideas, and also a few times it got stuck in booting up and the error code i got from mainboard was 64, it should be about CPU and memory as far as i saw others talking in other forums but in this maintenance i didn't touch anything about memory and CPU at all.
anyone has any idea or suggestion where the problem might be?

I had similar equipment. Terribly power-hungry

Vlada011
Level 10
Because possible problem as yours with watercooling immediately when I install loop I will start to look for quick disconnect couplings... I want to build watercooling with great performance, usefull for fast reinstallation hardware not some hard tubes with purpose only for look.

2x on CPU and 2 on GPU. Than I will be able to reinstall paste/CPU, GPU easy without draining loop, and I didn't want to build loop before I saved money for ball valve, and all adapters and spliters I need.
I believe it's frustrating draining loop every time.

My steps

1. Testing loop out of PC
2. Installing in PC and checking hardware,
3. Install watercooling parts and run on default settings week
4. Drain loop and install red coolant and OC.

Red coolant is just to satisfied myself little, plan is later norprene tubes with silver quick disconnect.
I never liked "United Colors of Benetton" PC style.

I only afraid watercooling will become my mania and new hobby will need money I very hard save for hardware. 🙂

I think his X99 RIG is great, not terrible as someone sad. Maybe is more power hungry after Intel launched i7-8700K.
But our X99 platform is from mid 2014 and still could hold processor stronger than new i9-9900K. And customers could save on mobo and memory and stay on i7-6950X/I7-6900K after new chipset show up, Z390.

For most people life time of platform is crucial for investment, very small number upgrade after 2 years without need.
It's question how long X99 could give optimal performance for 4K resolution, not much behind new generations with newest GPU.
I'm so glad because I invested in X99 and Rampage motherboards. They were always on highest position in my eyes, above Maximus and Crosshair.
But now situation is different, people who use computer 2/3 time for gaming no reason to buy anything else i7-9700K, i9-9900K.
Now Extreme platform look different than 2013/2014 with 4 cores on mainstream.