cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dud CMOS battery? (G752VY)

Weshimulo
Level 7
OK, here's the story:

I bought a G752VY in early June 2017. Everything was working fine until about 3 weeks ago (early June 2018), when I noticed the following:

· On booting, the clock doesn't update and has to be set manually (keeps time when this has been done, though).

· Keyboard backlighting not automatically activating (has to be adjusted manually with Fn+F4).

· Sometimes it requires 2-3 attempts to boot successfully, sometimes it boots first time (however, the above problems persist).

Aside from these irritations, the machine is working normally, with no other issues.

I raised the issue with ASUS, and was advised to do the following:

1: Restart the unit
2: Start pressing F9 upon startup
3: Select Troubleshoot
4: Select Reset your PC*
5: If prompted 3 options, select: “Restore to factory settings”
6. If prompted the options: “Keep my Files” and “Clean Install”, please select “Clean install”.

Now, I admit that I'm not an expert, but if this is a CMOS battery issue, how is doing the above going to help? I'll do it if I really have to, but I'd rather not because of all the issues with drivers and licences it's likely to throw up.

Despite my speculation about it being a CMOS battery issue, I really don't want to have to replace it because I know what that entails (basically dismantling the machine). I could just send it back to be fixed, but as I work from home that means I wouldn't be able to work...

...sometimes I wish I'd just bought a desktop.

Any ideas on what this might be and how to proceed will be greatly appreciated. 😄

Thanks, Martin
2 REPLIES 2

miyagi
Level 7
I have the same problem. I also think this is CMOS battery issue, but I can't find any solved thread 😞

Weshimulo wrote:
OK, here's the story:

I bought a G752VY in early June 2017. Everything was working fine until about 3 weeks ago (early June 2018), when I noticed the following:

· On booting, the clock doesn't update and has to be set manually (keeps time when this has been done, though).

· Keyboard backlighting not automatically activating (has to be adjusted manually with Fn+F4).

· Sometimes it requires 2-3 attempts to boot successfully, sometimes it boots first time (however, the above problems persist).

Aside from these irritations, the machine is working normally, with no other issues.

I raised the issue with ASUS, and was advised to do the following:

1: Restart the unit
2: Start pressing F9 upon startup
3: Select Troubleshoot
4: Select Reset your PC*
5: If prompted 3 options, select: “Restore to factory settings�
6. If prompted the options: “Keep my Files� and “Clean Install�, please select “Clean install�.

Now, I admit that I'm not an expert, but if this is a CMOS battery issue, how is doing the above going to help? I'll do it if I really have to, but I'd rather not because of all the issues with drivers and licences it's likely to throw up.

Despite my speculation about it being a CMOS battery issue, I really don't want to have to replace it because I know what that entails (basically dismantling the machine). I could just send it back to be fixed, but as I work from home that means I wouldn't be able to work...

...sometimes I wish I'd just bought a desktop.

Any ideas on what this might be and how to proceed will be greatly appreciated. 😄

Thanks, Martin

RedSector73
Level 12
If the problem is the sometimes overworked default windows time-servers, you could change them to 'pool.ntp.org' which will use local to you, time-servers

How to change time server in windows 10
https://www.techjunkie.com/change-time-server-windows-10/

Also might find this useful
https://www.ntppool.org/en/

If it the CMOS Battery, look here item 10, black n red wire to the black plastic battery (left side under fan)
https://www.myfixguide.com/manual/asus-rog-g752vy-disassembly/

Normally CMOS battery is good for 5-10 years or more, but the do fail.