New ROGer Array Weshimulo PC Specs
    Weshimulo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VY 1.0
    Processor2.70 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6820HK
    Memory (part number)32768 Mb (ChannelA-DIMM0, ChannelB-DIMM0)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
    Sound CardNVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGeneric PnP Monitor (17.1"vis), DELL S2009W [Monitor] (19.9"vis, s/n XX-0W653J-XXXXX-91G-19MS)
    Storage #11511.5 Gb usable
    Storage #2MAT****A BD-CMB UJ172 S [Optical drive]
    Power SupplySADP-230AB D
    Mouse Logitech M325
    OS Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Network RouterBT HomeHub 6

Dud CMOS battery? (G752VY)

OK, here's the story:

I bought a G752VY in early June 2017. Everything was working fine until about 3 weeks ago (early June 2018), when I noticed the following:

· On booting, the clock doesn't update and has to be set manually (keeps time when this has been done, though).

· Keyboard backlighting not automatically activating (has to be adjusted manually with Fn+F4).

· Sometimes it requires 2-3 attempts to boot successfully, sometimes it boots first time (however, the above problems persist).

Aside from these irritations, the machine is working normally, with no other issues.

I raised the issue with ASUS, and was advised to do the following:

1: Restart the unit
    2: Start pressing F9 upon startup
    3: Select Troubleshoot
    4: Select Reset your PC*
    5: If prompted 3 options, select: “Restore to factory settings”
    6. If prompted the options: “Keep my Files” and “Clean Install”, please select “Clean install”.

Now, I admit that I'm not an expert, but if this is a CMOS battery issue, how is doing the above going to help? I'll do it if I really have to, but I'd rather not because of all the issues with drivers and licences it's likely to throw up.

Despite my speculation about it being a CMOS battery issue, I really don't want to have to replace it because I know what that entails (basically dismantling the machine). I could just send it back to be fixed, but as I work from home that means I wouldn't be able to work...

...sometimes I wish I'd just bought a desktop.

Any ideas on what this might be and how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

ROG Junior Member Array

I have the same problem

I have the same problem. I also think this is CMOS battery issue, but I can't find any solved thread :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Weshimulo View Post
    OK, here's the story:

I bought a G752VY in early June 2017. Everything was working fine until about 3 weeks ago (early June 2018), when I noticed the following:

· On booting, the clock doesn't update and has to be set manually (keeps time when this has been done, though).

· Keyboard backlighting not automatically activating (has to be adjusted manually with Fn+F4).

· Sometimes it requires 2-3 attempts to boot successfully, sometimes it boots first time (however, the above problems persist).

Aside from these irritations, the machine is working normally, with no other issues.

I raised the issue with ASUS, and was advised to do the following:

1: Restart the unit
    2: Start pressing F9 upon startup
    3: Select Troubleshoot
    4: Select Reset your PC*
    5: If prompted 3 options, select: “Restore to factory settings”
    6. If prompted the options: “Keep my Files” and “Clean Install”, please select “Clean install”.

Now, I admit that I'm not an expert, but if this is a CMOS battery issue, how is doing the above going to help? I'll do it if I really have to, but I'd rather not because of all the issues with drivers and licences it's likely to throw up.

Despite my speculation about it being a CMOS battery issue, I really don't want to have to replace it because I know what that entails (basically dismantling the machine). I could just send it back to be fixed, but as I work from home that means I wouldn't be able to work...

...sometimes I wish I'd just bought a desktop.

Any ideas on what this might be and how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 11 64bit Pro
    Network RouterPfSence Intel i5-10210U 6 Port
    Accessory #1 TP-Link Gigabit 8&6 Port Switches

If the problem is the sometimes overworked default windows time-servers, you could change them to 'pool.ntp.org' which will use local to you, time-servers

How to change time server in windows 10
    https://www.techjunkie.com/change-ti...er-windows-10/

Also might find this useful
    https://www.ntppool.org/en/

If it the CMOS Battery, look here item 10, black n red wire to the black plastic battery (left side under fan)
    https://www.myfixguide.com/manual/as...y-disassembly/

Normally CMOS battery is good for 5-10 years or more, but the do fail.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 09-19-2021 at 07:33 AM.