cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issues booting - No POST

commandosqueak
Level 7
Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post it, please feel free to move it.

Recently got a Macbook and in doing so my gaming rig has been neglected (not used) for the last six months. I decided today to boot it up and update everything and maybe play a couple of games. Well I guess neglecting it for six months it's decided it doesn't like me any more. Last time I booted it, it worked fine without any issues.

When I try and boot I get no POST so It suggest a hardware issue rather than OS. Motherboard G code is 00 (not used according to the manual). The hardware itself should be fine it worked properly six months ago its just not been turned on since. I have tried reflashing the BIOS but no change. I have noticed the fans are not spinning although the AIO Water cooler seems to be running the pump. I don't want to run it for long as the fans are not spinning to cool the water. Tried safe boot tried the 2nd BIOS. Tried the MEM OK button and the reset and slow boot.

I have had a recent hardware change. I swapped out the DVD drive for an ASUS Blue-ray drive. It has booted several times since this change with no issued. Just to rule it out I have unplugged the drive but still have the same issue.

I have removed all peripherals and non crucial drives and still have the same issue. Tried clearing the CMOS.

Not sure if its relevant but just to the left of the 7 segment display is four orange LED's. The bottom one flashes 10 times, half a second on half off, then the bottom three lights come on and a red LED under the power supply connecter (labeled CPU_LED) for half a second and the sequence repeats.

It's all pointing to a CPU issue but I don't understand how its suddenly not working.

My hardware is the following running at stock speeds and no overclocking:

Rampage V Extreme Motherboard
Intel i7 5930k CPU 3.5GHz 6core
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram 2400MHz (4 * 4GB stick in slots A1, B1, C1 and D1)
MSI Nvidia 780GTX Gaming edition (6GHz ram rather the 3)
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-5525 TV tuner
TPM module
Asus Blue-ray drive
ROG Overclocking panel that comes with the board
CoolerMaster AIO water cooler on CPU (no leaks or signs of leaks)
Several hard drives of varying capacity and a Sandisk plus 480GB SSD as the boot drive.
And of course not complete without LED fans and LED tape all packaged in the Corsair 780t Case

Not sure what to do from here and would appreciate some help. Going to try reseating the RAM and Processor and see if that helps as thats the next logical step.

Unfortunately I have no other compatible hardware to swap and test components.
5 REPLIES 5

commandosqueak
Level 7
Ok so I have completely stripped, cleaned (was bit dusty and due for a clean) and reinstalled all components. Including CPU and RAM. Still coming up with CPU error lights and G Code 00. Double checked all cables are plugged in correctly.

I'm at a loss now, would appreciate some input.

Thanks

Hi, did you eliminate the problem of having malware on your laptop? if not, I recommend this article to you https://macsecurity.net/view/214-remove-virus-from-macbook-pro

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Code 00 is dead cpu or board probably both
New bios is no good for haswell-e best is 2101 before all the broadwell-e was added.

Torching boards and chips has been reported using xmp profile with new bios mostly addressing broardwell-e compatibility
I notice right away just raising the ram frequency past 2133 jacks the vccio cpu 1.05 voltage to 1.25v where 1.15v is it's dead maximum said to be used.

System agent is another one that seems high at 1.2v
Then you get into Cache auto voltage which has been thought to be the real killer going past 1.2v where as it shouldn't be higher than 1.2v.

Either way old thread I'm sure the op knows their board is doa no telling about the chip though probably doa too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

commandosqueak
Level 7
Hey, thanks for your input, and thanks for letting me know about the BIOS. That's worth putting int he manual for reference. Haven't been about for a while it drove me to the point I gave up with it. Been sat on my desk unused for 6 months +

It's either the cpu or the MB is fried. Which I don't know. That MB has been nothing but trouble since I got it. had quite a few issues with settings in the bios when I first set it up. I managed to get it to a good place and left it. I have never overclocked even though that was the intention. The hardware I picked was so I could overclock but had that much trouble to begin with I never bothered.

I might see if I can pick up a cheap second hand MB and CPU and do some testing and work out where the issue is.

Since my last post I have tested the power supply and it appears to be working ok.

davemon50
Level 11
Possible your PSU is malfunctioning?
Davemon50