New ROGer Array

5-pin EXT_FAN(Extension Fan) connector, does it have any use anymore?

Thinking about getting the strix z370-e but it only has two chassis fan connectors which isn't enough. I see in the spec list there's a 5-pin EXT_FAN(Extension Fan) connector that's apparently for an Asus extension card that you cant even buy and doesn't come with the motherboard. Is there anything else I can do with this connector or is it absolutely pointless which would be kind of odd?

ROG Enthusiast Array

re fa fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shimazu View Post
    Thinking about getting the strix z370-e but it only has two chassis fan connectors which isn't enough. I see in the spec list there's a 5-pin EXT_FAN(Extension Fan) connector that's apparently for an Asus extension card that you cant even buy and doesn't come with the motherboard. Is there anything else I can do with this connector or is it absolutely pointless which would be kind of odd?

The board has enough fan headers

2 in the rear out of which one is pump header.

2 in top cpu/ optional

1 in the right and

2 in the bottom

5 pin fan header support 3 fans

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMacho View Post
    The board has enough fan headers

2 in the rear out of which one is pump header.

2 in top cpu/ optional

1 in the right and

2 in the bottom

5 pin fan header support 3 fans
    the problem is I have 4 case fans and there are only 2 chassis fan headers. The 5 pin fan header seems to be for this http://https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessory/FAN-EXTENSION-CARD/ which you can't buy separately and doesn't come with the board so it's completely useless.

Should I just use two Y splitters?

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Should I just use two Y splitters?
    You can use splitters. The following conditions should be observed:

1) For chassis fan headers, the total power consumption should not exceed 12W per header (12V @ 1 Amp). Ideally, you want to give a bit of leeway for power on current surge.

2) The splitter only connects the tach signal of one fan to the motherboard header. If more than one tach signal is sent to the MB header, it will cause erroneous RPM readings.

3) The fans on each splitter should be the same make/model.

HTH
    Raja

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    You can use splitters. The following conditions should be observed:

1) For chassis fan headers, the total power consumption should not exceed 12W per header (12V @ 1 Amp). Ideally, you want to give a bit of leeway for power on current surge.

2) The splitter only connects the tach signal of one fan to the motherboard header. If more than one tach signal is sent to the MB header, it will cause erroneous RPM readings.

3) The fans on each splitter should be the same make/model.

HTH
    Raja
    Thanks Raja!

ROG Enthusiast Array

BTW you can purchase the Asus fan extension card from CDW.COM I just bought 2 of them from there 3 days ago for $18 each. *