ROG Member Array

Exclamation I have met my match with Bios Password.

Been a fan of ASUS products for 15+ years and own 5 ASUS themed computers. Came across many problems and was always able to solve them eventually. Not this time.

I have a P9X79-E WS motherboard. I've bought this motherboard brand new and use it for rendering 3D graphics. I have one overclock profile that I go into the bios and enable when I want to render something fast. After rendering I go back in to the bios and enable my default profile to save power. I've been doing this for 4 years with this same motherboard. Four days ago I try and go into the bios and out of nowhere I am presented with a password screen. What? I've never and would never put a password on my bios. I recently recieved a Windows Update but couldn't imagine that having anything to do with it. I've tried everything.

I know this is not a ROG board, but who better than to ask about his than this community.

1 .Jumper settings.
    2. Taking out the cmos battery for 10 minutes.
    3. Taking out the cmos battery for 1 hour simutaneously while doing jumper.
    4. Taking out the cmos battery overnight while simutaneously while doing jumper.
    5. Of course unplugging PSU while doing all of the above.
    6. I read a post of someone unplugging hard drives and disconnecting everything and then pulling CMIOS battery. I done that. But can't remove graphics cards because they are in a liquid loop.
    7. Changing CMOS battery.
    8. Seen post about Alt r, but I believe that only works with laptops. I tried it for the hell of it. Doesn't work.

I can still boot into Windows 10 and everything runs perfect.

I am at a lost. Please can someone throw anything at me. I have a render job to do and am behind.

Thanks for anyone comment and time.

ROG Member Array

Ok. I just tried flashing a previous version of bios with BUPUPDATER with a dos USB stick.. Downgraded to a lower bios number. Didn't fix the problem. Enter Password still pop up.

ROG Member Array

Tried CmosPwd through dos. Didn't work. Asus manual says I can reset the password by pulling the battery.. No luck of course. I never put a password on this anyway. I'm about to put my foot through this board.

ROG Member Array

WOW. I figured it out. So my past experiment was to set the jumer from 1-2 to 2-3; then take the battery out and wait 5 - 10 mintues. This time instead of waiting I did it as fast as i could. BUT, I took the batter out first. So take the CMOS battery out; move jumper from 1-2 to 2-3; put battery back in; move jumper back from 2-3 to 1-2. Press the power button. VIOLA!! All under 60 seconds. Maybe this will help someone else out.

ROG Member Array

One other thing I should note. I did have the usb mouse and keyboard unplugged. After doing the above I plugged the power cord back into the PSU, restarted the PC and when prompt to press F1 to enter bios I plugged only the keyboard back in. This time I did put a password so I never have to deal with this again.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array R5Eandme PC Specs
    R5Eandme PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme/U3.1
    Processori7-5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M8A2400C14
    Graphics Card #1MSI Geforce GTX 980Ti
    Sound CardAsus Essence STX II
    MonitorAcer B286HK 4K UHD
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932
    Power SupplyThermaltake TPG-1200M-F 1200W
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Asus Sica
    Mouse Pad "And God said ... <Maxwell's equations> ... and there was light."
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro
    Accessory #1 Asus USB 3.1 A, StarTech USB 3.1 C PCIe adapters
    Accessory #2 Syba 1394A/B Firewire PCIe adapter PEX30009
    Accessory #3 Asus OC Panel I

Quote Originally Posted by icatt23 View Post
    One other thing I should note. I did have the usb mouse and keyboard unplugged. After doing the above I plugged the power cord back into the PSU, restarted the PC and when prompt to press F1 to enter bios I plugged only the keyboard back in. This time I did put a password so I never have to deal with this again.
    Glad you got it figured out, although acquiring a "password" is a strange problem to have. It would have been bad to never have access to your BIOS settings.

ROG Member Array

Yes, it would have been bad. Did some more test and it always ask for a password even when I remove the password. Everytime I remove the password from the bios and restart it still ask for a password so then I have to clear CMOS again, plus I have to have the keyboard and mouse unplugged. Wierdest **** I ever seen and this came out of nowhere.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array R5Eandme PC Specs
    R5Eandme PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme/U3.1
    Processori7-5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M8A2400C14
    Graphics Card #1MSI Geforce GTX 980Ti
    Sound CardAsus Essence STX II
    MonitorAcer B286HK 4K UHD
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932
    Power SupplyThermaltake TPG-1200M-F 1200W
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Asus Sica
    Mouse Pad "And God said ... <Maxwell's equations> ... and there was light."
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro
    Accessory #1 Asus USB 3.1 A, StarTech USB 3.1 C PCIe adapters
    Accessory #2 Syba 1394A/B Firewire PCIe adapter PEX30009
    Accessory #3 Asus OC Panel I

Quote Originally Posted by icatt23 View Post
    Yes, it would have been bad. Did some more test and it always ask for a password even when I remove the password. Everytime I remove the password from the bios and restart it still ask for a password so then I have to clear CMOS again, plus I have to have the keyboard and mouse unplugged. Wierdest **** I ever seen and this came out of nowhere.
    I wonder if re-flashing the BIOS might help? Maybe the BIOS code has become corrupted. That could explain why the behavior appeared out of nowhere.