cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "I Got My PG27UQ" Thread: Discussions/Thoughts

jasonvp
Level 7
A new thread to discuss the panel now that it's out and in the hands of early(ish) adopters.

Like others, I've been waiting for this thing to become a reality since we first saw a glimpse of it during the summer of 2016(!) Yeah, it was that far back, remember? I'm friends with gamer YouTuber LevelCap; he and I have been discussing this very panel for the better part of a year. I figured he'd get an early one so that he could do a review of it, and sure enough his video of it appeared on YouTube last week. He hadn't given me a heads up that he received the panel (from NewEgg, not from Asus), and I proceeded to call him all sorts of names. 🙂 I did notice that he named his video improperly: "Asus PG27U" ... he'd forgotten the 'Q'. When I called him on it, he said, "That's what Asus put on the box!" Well, it's wrong.

Once I realized (via LevelCap) that NewEgg was actually accepting pre-orders, I clicked the button and got on the list for my "July 13" shipment. Then I started reading reviews on NewEgg, and someone mentioned, "I went to my local Microcenter and picked it up..." The moment I read that, I logged into Microcenter's site, changed location to my local store and: BAM! they had 6 of them in stock! I quickly reserved one for pickup the following morning.

When I got there Sunday morning, I saw that the pickup counter had 3 of them already reserved. Gee... think this thing is in demand? 🙂 Sure enough, like LevelCap had said, the box is improperly labeled. The sticker on it is correct, but the logo is incorrect:

I guess Asus has something against Qs. 🙂

Enough of that. It's home, mounted on my stand in place of my previous PG278Q (which served me well for 4 years!) and I'm gaming in 4K. Some notes:

• The fan noise is annoying. Very much so. It's a small fan spinning at a bzillion RPMs and you can hear it clear as day. Bad design there, Asus. I get that the components in the panel case can get hot. Find a higher quality fan that can spin at lower RPMs, or one that makes less noise spinning faster.
  • I can't comment on HDR because: I don't care. I haven't tried it and likely won't. It's of no real consequence to me right now.
  • God damn are the games I'm playing GORGEOUS in 4K!
  • Rainbow Six Siege is quite challenging to keep a triple-digit frame rate in 4K. I always turn AA and AO off because: who needs them? But even with those off and a few of the other details lowered away from the top setting, I'm having some difficulty with Siege. It's a very old and unoptimized engine and I don't ever expect that to change.
  • Battlefield 1 is, on the other hand, easy-mode to get into 4K. I have everything pinned to "Ultra" except AA and AO (again). I also have a soft-limit of 140FPS to keep the panel in its GSync sweet spot. In just about every case, BF1 just happily pins itself right to 140FPS and off I go. It's beautiful!

I'm sold on it. Yeah, it was costly at $2K. But IMHO: worth it. While I was at Microcenter, I picked up 2 27" LG 4K panels to act as R/L flank displays, to replace my very old 1440p panels. It took me a long while to make it to 4K, but the wait was worth it. Playing on that new display is soooooooo nice.

What have others found?
System specs: click here.
14 REPLIES 14

ChuckTom
Level 7
I hope its ok to reply here even though I dont own one....Yet.

I would love to hear your opinion and I'll try to keep it simple. I have a UFO graded rig built 2 years ago but an 8 year old 1080p HP2310e monitor up to today. I recently upgraded from a 980ti to 1080ti card (founders edition) and I thought that this monitor was going to by my holy grail. The price came out, then, word that even a single 1080ti will not make the monitor shine. I was at Microcenter last week and sales guys told not to even bother with this monitor and go with the PG279Q instead and just go 2K with the higher framerates.

Heres the delimma: I really want to upgrade, this week in fact, but I dont want to buy a $700 2k monitor only to get a new one in 2 years for the same price, or do I splurge and get this model and get a better GPU later? I really wish I could hear from someone who owns only one 1080ti card and this monitor. Also, to be honest, I have never seen a game on a 1440 monitor..only youtube vids....lol.

ChuckTom wrote:
I hope its ok to reply here even though I dont own one....Yet.

I would love to hear your opinion and I'll try to keep it simple. I have a UFO graded rig built 2 years ago but an 8 year old 1080p HP2310e monitor up to today. I recently upgraded from a 980ti to 1080ti card (founders edition) and I thought that this monitor was going to by my holy grail. The price came out, then, word that even a single 1080ti will not make the monitor shine. I was at Microcenter last week and sales guys told not to even bother with this monitor and go with the PG279Q instead and just go 2K with the higher framerates.

Heres the delimma: I really want to upgrade, this week in fact, but I dont want to buy a $700 2k monitor only to get a new one in 2 years for the same price, or do I splurge and get this model and get a better GPU later? I really wish I could hear from someone who owns only one 1080ti card and this monitor. Also, to be honest, I have never seen a game on a 1440 monitor..only youtube vids....lol.

I have this monitor and am running it on a single 1080ti with an i7 6700k cpu. It works fine for running most games at 4k and even on high-ultra settings. Battlefield 1 runs at 70-80fps at 4k on ultra even with AO and AA on. Some other less intense shooters in terms of system requirements like Rising Storm 2: Vietnam I can get over 130fps consistently with every setting cranked all the way up.

I'd buy the monitor now and wait to get a new gpu later. This monitor was a major upgrade for me compared to the PG279Q. That FALD backlight and Quantum Dot display layer really makes a difference in terms of colors and black level even in SDR mode. HDR mode is a whole new world of amazing.

It's still up in the air as to what kind of gains the 11 serious of nvidia cards will have over a 1080ti (if any). It's still up in the air if 11 series cards will even be coming out this year. Chances are the flagship 11 series gpu will be at or slightly above the level of a 1080ti (think 10-20% performance gains) with the 1180ti being the actual card you would want to upgrade to whenever that comes out in the next 1-3 years post 11 series release.

Just a note: I am completely looking into my crystal ball here in terms of the future. Who knows, maybe the 11 series cards will be released next month, be 40-50% faster than a 1080ti, and maybe mini-led monitors will be announced and actually released next January.

I am of firm belief however that if you have a really really good GPU already, it's a crying shame to have it drive a mediocre monitor.

Chewiie wrote:
I have this monitor and am running it on a single 1080ti with an i7 6700k cpu. It works fine for running most games at 4k and even on high-ultra settings. Battlefield 1 runs at 70-80fps at 4k on ultra even with AO and AA on. Some other less intense shooters in terms of system requirements like Rising Storm 2: Vietnam I can get over 130fps consistently with every setting cranked all the way up.

I'd buy the monitor now and wait to get a new gpu later. This monitor was a major upgrade for me compared to the PG279Q. That FALD backlight and Quantum Dot display layer really makes a difference in terms of colors and black level even in SDR mode. HDR mode is a whole new world of amazing.

It's still up in the air as to what kind of gains the 11 serious of nvidia cards will have over a 1080ti (if any). It's still up in the air if 11 series cards will even be coming out this year. Chances are the flagship 11 series gpu will be at or slightly above the level of a 1080ti (think 10-20% performance gains) with the 1180ti being the actual card you would want to upgrade to whenever that comes out in the next 1-3 years post 11 series release.

Just a note: I am completely looking into my crystal ball here in terms of the future. Who knows, maybe the 11 series cards will be released next month, be 40-50% faster than a 1080ti, and maybe mini-led monitors will be announced and actually released next January.

I am of firm belief however that if you have a really really good GPU already, it's a crying shame to have it drive a mediocre monitor.

Major thank you... This was the exact post I was looking for.... Sounds like you have exactly my type of rig too. Sounds like we play the exact type of games too. I am a long time Red Orchestra/Rising Storm player going back to when the original RO game started. I think I would be cheating myself if I didnt go for the monitor that makes me crazy like a 12 year old kid. My Microcenter has over 10 of these and I think I 'll pick up one in the next day or so. I am also on vacation this week. 😄

Also, talking about the future, this monitor would be good enough for another GPU cycle upgrade or two. If I can make this my main monitor for at least another 8-10 years, It'll be worth it....

Thanks again Chewie.....

jasonvp
Level 7
jasonvp wrote:

• Rainbow Six Siege is quite challenging to keep a triple-digit frame rate in 4K. I always turn AA and AO off because: who needs them? But even with those off and a few of the other details lowered away from the top setting, I'm having some difficulty with Siege. It's a very old and unoptimized engine and I don't ever expect that to change.
  • Battlefield 1 is, on the other hand, easy-mode to get into 4K. I have everything pinned to "Ultra" except AA and AO (again). I also have a soft-limit of 140FPS to keep the panel in its GSync sweet spot. In just about every case, BF1 just happily pins itself right to 140FPS and off I go. It's beautiful!

I've done some more playing and testing with the panel. Siege continues to be a challenge for my dual Titan X Pascal rig, trying to drive it at high frame rates in 4K. It just doesn't want to consistently stay above 100FPS regardless of what I change. I let Siege "Detect" my hardware and suggest settings; it did so and enabled the AO which I laughed at and disabled. With its "Detected" settings, it's gorgeous and playing fairly smoothly. It's just not anywhere near my soft-limit of 140FPS. As I mentioned in my previous post: I don't expect that to change. The old Assassin's Creed engine underneath Siege is just too inefficient.

I also played a few rounds of Battlefield 4 last night in full 4K beauty. Like with BF1, I have BF4 to "Ultra" on everything except AA (pre and post) and AO. Those are disabled completely as they add nothing to the experience in 1440p or 2160p. All they do is cost frame rate. Like its newer cousin, BF4 happily pins itself to my soft 140FPS limit and just stays there without any issues. Simply stunning.

Psycrow
Level 11
Im sitting here and wondering if i should buy this beast..you say there is a noisy fan inside the monitor ?
What gfx card do you use for the this screen ? I looking on a 1080 TI OC please enlight me before i buy

ChuckTom
Level 7
I just have to add that finally picked one these up last Wednesday and I could not be happier with it. I dont notice the fan at all and the quality of everything is fantastic. I am glad I went with this instead of a 1440p monitor.... I played battlefield one just for a short while so far and I could feel my enjoyment and confidence quadruple coming from a 1080p montior..it was insane like looking through a window into an alternate reality. If I wanted to focus on something far away, I really could focus.......

ChuckTom wrote:
I just have to add that finally picked one these up last Wednesday and I could not be happier with it. I dont notice the fan at all and the quality of everything is fantastic. I am glad I went with this instead of a 1440p monitor.... I played battlefield one just for a short while so far and I could feel my enjoyment and confidence quadruple coming from a 1080p montior..it was insane like looking through a window into an alternate reality. If I wanted to focus on something far away, I really could focus.......

What gfx card do you use ?

Psycrow
Level 11
is the 1080 ti enough ?
Or should i wait for the 1180 ti in year 2020 😛

Psycrow wrote:
is the 1080 ti enough ?

It depends entirely on the game you're trying to play, and at what detail level. Frostbite games: maybe. Not at super-high refresh nor levels of detail. But maybe. Other games that are more demanding: probably not so much.