cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use CPU_OPT or CHA-FAN to connect fan hub on Crosshair VII x470?

PeskySnowman
Level 7
I have a Crosshair VII x470 board, and a Fractal Design Define R6 case.

I have the wraith prism plugged into the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard.

My case comes with a PWM Fan hub, and the manual for it said to plug it into the CPU_FAN connector, so I plugged that into the CPU_OPT connector. I have my case fans connected to that.

But, I'm guessing maybe the reason manual said to plug the Fan hub was due to it assuming I was going to use it to plug the Wraith Prism fan to it.

So in that case would I maybe be better off plugging the PWM Fan hub to the CHA_FAN connectors instead? Or should I just leave it as is?
5 REPLIES 5

Rob_W_
Level 12
I think you will find cpu-opt is slaved to cpu fan so the one controls both,

Rob W. wrote:
I think you will find cpu-opt is slaved to cpu fan so the one controls both,

In that case since I just have case fans hooked up to the fan hub would I be better of hooking it up to CHA_Fan connector?

PeskySnowman wrote:
In that case since I just have case fans hooked up to the fan hub would I be better of hooking it up to CHA_Fan connector?

Yes, in your setup use one of the CHA_Fan headers. I did the same in my R6. I have three roof fans mounted for top exhaust and I plug those into the builtin fan_hub using the PWM (4pin) connectors and then connect the 4 pin PWM lead from the Fan hub to a CHA_fan header. That way I can control all three fans (as one, not individually) from the same header using Qfan or FanXpert. All three fans spin at the same RPM though the reading you see is only from what ever fan is plugged into connector 1 (the one that manual shows as connecting the CPU fan or AIO pump into).
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Delta9K wrote:
Yes, in your setup use one of the CHA_Fan headers. I did the same in my R6. I have three roof fans mounted for top exhaust and I plug those into the builtin fan_hub using the PWM (4pin) connectors and then connect the 4 pin PWM lead from the Fan hub to a CHA_fan header. That way I can control all three fans (as one, not individually) from the same header using Qfan or FanXpert. All three fans spin at the same RPM though the reading you see is only from what ever fan is plugged into connector 1 (the one that manual shows as connecting the CPU fan or AIO pump into).

Cool thank you for the clarification.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Only things you need to worry about are if its a CPU fan then the board will be looking for a return on that channel unless you disable it and some boards fan headers have different current ratings. Other than that it doesnt matter.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein