Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on bios screen with error code b4

madotter
Level 7
Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me!

I purchased the X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero board with an AMD 2700X and 16GB of G.Skill 3600MHz CAS 16 RGB Ram.

The rest of the system is: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA M.2, 250GB 850 Evo SSD and a 1TB WD Blue HDD.

I am running Windows 10.

So basically, every now and then - way too often to be honest - when I boot my PC up from off, it will stick on the screen for bios (the one where it says press DEL or F2) and stays there forever. The mouse and keyboard aren't active so now way to do anything other than hard power off.

I have tried disconnecting all USB devices (including the front panel for the case), removing one stick of Ram, clear cmos, the 2 pin bios reset (with a screw driver), and just about everything else!

My bios is the latest (0702) but this has been happening since day 1.

Somtimes it will boot up just fine and others I will be restarting, clearing cmos, resetting everything over and over for hours just to get back to WIndows.

I am now at the point where I don't shut my PC down... Ever. Which is wrong when I have just dropped £750 on this upgrade,

This is my first Asus or ROG board and so far I am just frustrated and starting to wish I'd stuck with MSI!

Any help would honestly be very much appreciated!!

All the best,
Iain.
8 REPLIES 8

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi madotter,
Firstly are you using xmp?
Do you have dram voltage set to 1.35v
Is your cpu Oc?
Try this, set dram manually to 1.35v
Set vccio to 1.21v
Set system agent ( vccsa) to 1.175 or even 1.185v
Enter your dram timings manually under dram timing control to 16, 16, 16, 36
Try that, see if it solve the problem, as the GSkill can be a finicky to get stable, other than that you may have to tweak cpu ( but I am not familiar with its settings)
System agent and vccio can be adjusted from there.*
The boards get a lot of frustrated comments when the actual problem is normally settings for components connected.
Let us know how it goes.

Rob W. wrote:
Hi madotter,
Firstly are you using xmp?
Do you have dram voltage set to 1.35v
Is your cpu Oc?
Try this, set dram manually to 1.35v
Set vccio to 1.21v
Enter your dram timings manually under dram timing control to 16, 16, 16, 36
Try that, see if it solve the problem, as the GSkill can be a finicky to get stable, other than that you may have to tweak cpu ( but I am not familiar with its settings)
System agent and vccio can be adjusted from there.*
The boards get a lot of frustrated comments when the actual problem is normally settings for components connected.
Let us know how it goes.

I haven't OCed the CPU. I did have my ram at 3200 (3600 won't boot and 3400 is unstable) with cas 15-15-15-36

The dram volts are indeed at 1.35 (I used the DOCP and just dropped the speed from 3600 down to 3200) but to be honest I have no idea what or where vccio or vccsa is...

Okay, I now have the RAM at 3400MHz with CAS 15-15-15-34

Rob W. wrote:
lly to 1.35v
Set vccio to 1.21v

LOL - this is AMD forum not shintel :cool:

Rob_W_
Level 12
LOL - this is AMD forum not shintel
@BlackBishop, *lol agreed amd , so GSkill settings will vary with that cpu, maybe an amd lover could help this guy out better?*
But locking up in bios at cold start can quite often be memory related no matter what cpu.

BlackBishop
Level 8
My point was not about RAM settings but VCCIO and VCCSA 😉

B4 is USB hot plug problem. Try plugging keyboard and mouse to different ports (USB2 ?) and/or disable fast boot.

syldon
Level 9
Qcode B4 is USB hotplug error. I think you already know this since you mentioned removing devices.

Can you drop a txt dump of your bios settings. It is mostl likely down to voltages. Your system has cleared all memory tests by the time it looks at the USB.

Again....what's the PSU? Did you connect all cables?