cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H Auto overvolts my 2700x to hell, overall a huge disappointment so far...

VnnAmed
Level 7
Hi, I have the C7H motherboard with Ryzen 2700x.

So first of all I'm very unhappy with how the mobo handles CPU's voltage when it's on Auto.
As far as I have read safe voltages for 2nd gen ryzen are 1.375 - 1.4v. Crosshair VII happily shoots the poor CPU with up to 1.52V here. WTF Asus?
I get that safe voltages are just a suggestion but this seems to be closer to LN2's territory than to my air cooling. I have dabbled with AI Overclock and the other one but it doesn't seem to do anything to help mitigate this massive overshoot of voltage.

Also what kind of settings are Auto and Default? How about a freaking ON and OFF? Throw a STOCK and OVERCLOCKED too maybe.

Search function is pretty bad but it seems to be pretty common, there are some inconsistencies, bad translations and other quirks too but whatever, these can be fixed/do not bother me that much.

Sadly my issues do not end there. When I got the board I have checked for some kind of software to regulate Fans from Windows. I mean my cheapo MSI z270 Gaming M3 had one so why wouldn't this board have one as well? Well... it turns out that quite some time after the release when I got it there still wasn't one.
Furthermore now that it has, freaking "ASUS AI Suite 3 V3.00.16" doesn't want to install on my system. And yes I can see a folder called "hotfix" in there, I have even downgraded my Visual C++ 2015 to the version from the package but it still wouldn't install.

I will also just mention that I wasn't able to set up RAID on my 1st WIndows install. I guess I'll try later.

Summing up I'm pretty disappointed so far. Part of it is probably my fault but I have expected more from Asus after hearing so much about them being a market leader. I just hope that everything improves with time.
10 REPLIES 10

Mordorr
Level 8
Feel your pain...

It was the same with me when i start ON the PC for the first time....

Finally i discovery on Bios how to turn off the Auto option for OC...now im at default CPU speeds, except memory...

Also AUTO really sucks....or donest do nothing...

Miss those days of Abit NFS 2.0 + AMD 2500M.......:cool:

Rares
Level 7
VnnAmed wrote:

So first of all I'm very unhappy with how the mobo handles CPU's voltage when it's on Auto.
As far as I have read safe voltages for 2nd gen ryzen are 1.375 - 1.4v. Crosshair VII happily shoots the poor CPU with up to 1.52V here. WTF Asus?
I get that safe voltages are just a suggestion but this seems to be closer to LN2's territory than to my air cooling. I have dabbled with AI Overclock and the other one but it doesn't seem to do anything to help mitigate this massive overshoot of voltage.

Also what kind of settings are Auto and Default? How about a freaking ON and OFF? Throw a STOCK and OVERCLOCKED too maybe.

Search function is pretty bad but it seems to be pretty common, there are some inconsistencies, bad translations and other quirks too but whatever, these can be fixed/do not bother me that much.

Sadly my issues do not end there. When I got the board I have checked for some kind of software to regulate Fans from Windows. I mean my cheapo MSI z270 Gaming M3 had one so why wouldn't this board have one as well? Well... it turns out that quite some time after the release when I got it there still wasn't one.
Furthermore now that it has, freaking "ASUS AI Suite 3 V3.00.16" doesn't want to install on my system. And yes I can see a folder called "hotfix" in there, I have even downgraded my Visual C++ 2015 to the version from the package but it still wouldn't install.

I will also just mention that I wasn't able to set up RAID on my 1st WIndows install. I guess I'll try later.

Summing up I'm pretty disappointed so far. Part of it is probably my fault but I have expected more from Asus after hearing so much about them being a market leader. I just hope that everything improves with time.

Sorry man. I don't know what "Auto" or "Default" means for an overclocker. This board is a state-of-the-art motherboard with hundreds of tweaks and settings... Start reading some OC guides and you'll see and feel the power of this board.

KeithMyers
Level 7
I'm finding the C7H and 2700X an absolute dream to overclock. I have almost completely replaced all my ASUS X370 Prime Pro systems with C7H/2700X upgrades. Easy-peasy, set and forget. Leave everything on Auto in the BIOS except set either a 40 or 41 clock multiplier. The systems run all cores at 4000Hz or 4100Mhz on full BOINC loading and keeps the temps around 70° C. The Vcore voltage is at 1.29V at 4000Mhz and 1.33V at 4100 Mhz. Don't know why you are getting such high Vcore voltages.

And the memory capability is stunning. I fought for a year trying to get 3200Mhz @ CL14 stable on the Prime Pro and 1700X/1800X systems. I just select The Stilts 3466Mhz @ 1.4V single-sided memory preset and !voila!, instant 3466 CL14 Fast timings that are absolutely stable. These upgrades are the best money I've spent on computer systems in 20 years.

Maybe you could share prints of yours options for users?

I create a tread asking help, but it seems, OC here is only for the gods...

Dream OC was on SocketA....you could extract almost 50% more power.....

Mordorr wrote:
Maybe you could share prints of yours options for users?

I create a tread asking help, but it seems, OC here is only for the gods...

Dream OC was on SocketA....you could extract almost 50% more power.....

As I stated, just leave EVERYTHING on AUTO. I mean everything. Don't touch any voltage or LLC, just leave on Auto. Set the Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. to pick up your RAM kit speed. Select its rated XMP speed as the clock for the RAM.

If you have B-die, then select The Stilts 3466 @1.4V single sided preset option in the Memory Timings page. That will set the memory up for 1.4V as the running memory voltage as well the boot voltage. It will automatically set the memory timings to optimized fast timings for 3466 Mhz at CL14 latency.

BIOS screenshots mostly pointless as I said, every parameter is on Auto except for what I just mentioned above.s

If you still don't understand what I am describing I can see about capturing the main BIOS page.:cool::)

:cool:

Thank you! Finally someone try to help. We can make prints on F12 if aint not wrong, and a pen usb pluged.

Soon i get a chance i will play with those options you sugest:p

Monochrome
Level 7
VnnAmed wrote:

You should really dive in into Ryzen OC and read some guides. Voltage overshoot how you call it is by design. What you are seeing is not sustained voltage and mobo is doing this to boost CPU past stock frequency. So leave everything on auto. It is perfectly safe.

AI suite is not the best tool so I suggest to set you fan speeds in bios.

Monochrome wrote:
You should really dive in into Ryzen OC and read some guides. Voltage overshoot how you call it is by design. What you are seeing is not sustained voltage and mobo is doing this to boost CPU past stock frequency. So leave everything on auto. It is perfectly safe.

AI suite is not the best tool so I suggest to set you fan speeds in bios.

I too also recommend setting fan speeds in BIOS. And avoid AI Suite like it is the plague. That software has always been a "virus" of the worst kind. If you must have "some" sort of software, I understand that Ryzen Master isn't all that bad. I still prefer doing any kind of system configuration permanently in the BIOS.

I don't mean to be rude but your disappointment stems from ignorance.

As someone already stated, the brief spikes to 1.5v are completely safe and it's how xfr2/pb2 is designed to work. If you run a stress test you will see when the cpu is at 100% load on all cores voltage will never get that high, you will only see that voltage on single core workloads when one or two cores boost north of 4.2mhz.

Now, that being said you can fine tune things by undervolting and get more performance in the process. The DOCP profiles actually set dram and soc voltages higher than they need to be (understandably for compatibility/stability) and you can get better performance by entering in values from the Ryzen DRAM calculator. On the cpu side of things, I personally use pb level 2 with a -0.0875v offset which resulted in cooler temps and higher all core + single core boost clocks and is my preferred setting for daily usage, obviously you'll have to experiment a bit to find what works best for your chip.