cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone over here with GSkill Trident Z RGB??

seanbarkley
Level 8
Hey guys, let’s see if someone can help me:

I have an Asus VIIi Formula and I’m thinking about buying a GSkill Trident Z RGB RAM kit. My doubt is how to control those RAM leds since our mobos can’t be updated to Aura last updates, and I’ve seen that GSkill software is really buggy. So maybe I have the luck somebody with this RAM is over here and can tell me how he makes it work. Thanks in advance!
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hello seanbarkley

You'll have to install the G.Skill RGB software to control the G.Skill RGB ram as the Maximus VIII series motherboards do not support Aura Sync.

http://www.gskill.com/en/download/view/trident-z-rgb-control

andrea_daviero
Level 7
The RAM lights up also without the software with its default pattern (color changes randomly each second or two) also if software is not installed. The software basically updates the RGB pattern on your choice. But, it seems (need to check better) that the RAM saves the setting in the modules themselves, so, also without the software installed the chosen pattern is always resumed. I think that the software is not so buggy, it worked fine on my system the few times I used it.
The problem in my case is with the speed settings. I cannot switch on the XMP setting, so basically my ram runs at half of its speed.

Nate152
Hello andrea.dvariero

You may need to raise the cpu vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage to get your ram stable at its rated speed.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello andrea.dvariero

You may need to raise the cpu vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage to get your ram stable at its rated speed.

Thanks Andrea and Nate! How should we do that that?is there any good tutorial?

Nate152
It depends on the speed and capacity of the ram as to how much voltage you'll need, anywhere from 1.15v - 1.25v for both should be enough.

It's trial and error, a good cpu can run with lower voltages.

andrea_daviero
Level 7
Hi
Nate, Thanks!
I'll try!

Why I need to manually adjust the VCC IO? Why the system is not able to perform automatically the adjustment?

Thanks
Andrew

andrea.daviero wrote:
Hi
Nate, Thanks!
I'll try!

Why I need to manually adjust the VCC IO? Why the system is not able to perform automatically the adjustment?

Thanks
Andrew

Anytime you run memory that has overclock timings it is possible you will need to use custom motherboard settings to run that overclock. Most of the time you just set the memory settings manually in the UEFI or set XMP and it is good to go. In some cases certain overclock memory kits are too much for the capabilities of the specific CPU memory controller and you need to adjust voltages as Nate outlined.

andrea_daviero
Level 7
Checked the BIOS… VCCIO is 1.344. isn't it good enough for a i7 8700K processor?

EDIT:

Sorry, wrong value… 1.344 was the dram voltage.
1.312 (AUTO) is the value for the VCCIO. Now I set the higher value in the Yellow band for VCCIO. Trying to increase slowly ram speeds. I'm writing with 3300MHz correctly working.

andrea_daviero
Level 7
After some testing… Maximum stable frequency 3333MHz with VCCIO 1.265. I was unable to set 3400MHz also at 1.350... It Always fails to restart after saving changes.