cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E - nVidia 780 crashes/instability

kwithnail
Level 7
Wondering if anyone can help me - I've recently finished a new build on a Rampage V Extreme, with a 6850 CPU, SM960 in the m2 slot and 32GB RAM.
I transferred my PNY GTX 780 from my previous build into this, but I'm getting serious crashes and instability!
It's never shown up a single problem before so I'm really disappointed. The case and PSU are the same, masses of air cooling, 850W PSU. Doesn't seem to be overheating, it never reaches 80˚C.
I've tried installing Win 7 pro, and win 10 pro, both UEFI and BIOS installs. Some have advised me to turn CSM off, but I can't boot from USB to install when I do, so I haven't managed to install windows without it turned on.
UEFI/BIOS settings are default, and BIOS is updated to latest stable version. I've tried re-seating the power connectors, and the card itself, and I've tried it in the top x16 slot as well as the lower x16 slot. Uninstalled and reinstalled with DDU multiple times.
At my wit's end a bit here! I know the card's good on 2 other machines I've used it on, and it's clean of dust too. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot? Does anyone have similar experiences? Even if I've somehow broken the card, is there a way I can at least narrow down that that is the case before I have to drop £600 on a new one?
Thanks for any help you can give me!
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is the R5E new? and the CPU and what RAM exactly? A single quad channel kit?

If the GPU works fine on other PCs I'd start to look elsewhere for the instability...

Thanks Arne.
The R5E is new, and the RAM is a single kit quad channel 3000MHz, but running at default speeds (not 3000Mhz).
Are there any diagnostics or checks I can run?
I'm not getting BSODs, just erratic graphics (sometimes forgets resolution and some screen elements look wrong/broken), and CTDs/freezes in games, usually after 20 mins or so, so it's hard to diagnose without that BSOD info or dump.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm..that's a head scratcher

So the system works fine at default settings for normal day to day stuff...have you tried stress testing it with, say, RealBench?

Is this one game only or across various?

Maybe try defaults in the BIOS which will have RAM run at 2133 but set DRAM voltage to 1.35. Have you tried enabling XMP and seeing if anything changes?

Can't remember the BIOS exactly but isn't there a setting to force gen 3 for the slot...maybe try that

Thanks! I'll try those and revert - appreciated.

RealBench throws up no problems at all, I don't even get very high temps with that either. Tried upping DRAM voltage and enabling XMP as you suggest, but still getting these same crashes/freezes, no difference at all.
Is there anything I can do to help narrow down the fault, diagnose the error? "nVidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered" doesn't tell me a whole lot, I assume there isn't a dump made when this happens?

Thanks

RLGL123
Level 7
Is the M.2 drive set with a GPT partition table? Samsung states it is a must.

Thanks for the reply. It is set with GPT - I wouldn't have been able to install Windows without that, I'm told.
Most things work fine, just the card keeps messing up. I don't get it!

May sound crazy, I experienced the same issue when I first put in a Evga gtx 780 ti in my amd build, I was using a fresh copy of windows 7 and the nvidia drivers but it kept bluescreening randomly and crashing for the beginning period. It made no sense since I knew everything was working properly, finally after lots of windows updates and the most recent nvidia drivers came out I updated to those and no longer had any issues. Im not sure about your drivers and It sounds like you know what your doing but try and check and make sure you have all the most recent updates. Good luck it was frustrating as hell for me then a week later after it all (windows 10 and every update out and the most current nvid drivers and .net direct x ) everything else was done it was good to go.
Also did the nvidia driver crashed and recovered no explination. Try uninstalling nvidia drivers and go with the ones from April/May I believe it was. It took me going thru the drivers for it to finally resolve itself.