cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370 F + 8700K- newbie consultation

dyymeek
Level 7
Hello,
My English isn't perfect and sometimes I don't understand the complicated words from the overclocking industry. I'd like to consult with you about the settings on this PC:
z370 Strix F
Scythe Mugen 5 revb cooling
2x 4gb 3200 cl16 Corsair
550w Supremo M2
good case with constant airflow

My goal is to reach medium overclock, let's say 4.7 at the beggining, while maintaining the best voltage and temperature's. Here are my BIOS screens:

1. Should I always set SVID Behaviour to best case scenario, while using adaptative voltage?
2. I finally understand how LLC work's, but should I leave it on 6 while adaptative?
3. Should I tweak CPU Current capability to 140%? What about VRM spread spectrum- gotta disable?
4. CPU core/cache current limit needs to be set to 255?
5. I still have a problem with that + and - while using adaptative, what should I use together with Offset voltage at the beggining? Just leave it on auto?

I'd like to get some advices from you guys, maybe my question's are easy, but like I said, sometimes it ain't easy for me to understand OC guides. I just wanna make sure everything is fine, hope you don't mind. I have two additional questions regarding this platform:

7. Why there is such a huge gap between LLC 6 and 7? When Im using LLC with 1.26v it shows 1.248 in CPUZ during stress test, however using auto (LLC 7) it goes to up 1.28.
8. My idle and load temps are stable with small diffrences between cores, however is it normal that they spike while using OCCT? For example it's constant 70C during OCCT test and then for 1 or 2 seconds temps are 78C or higher, and then going back to 70C. Im asking about this because i tested 5.0ghz and it's working at 1.37, but I cant pass this test because of that spikes (above 95C, while they're at 85C). Is this how OCCT works?

Thank you a lot,
DG

PS. Not delidded, idle temps 29-31, full load cinebench at 4.7 78C, at 5.0 it's really hot reaching about 95C.
5 REPLIES 5

Delta9K
Level 9
Hi, I think your English is fine and that you provided excellent information regarding your setup/configuration and asked good questions. I personally tend to have better luck using manual vs. adaptive but, that is not what you are asking about so I am going to answer as best I can, tailored to your particular situation.

1. Should I always set SVID Behaviour to best case scenario, while using adaptive voltage?
Yes, I would
2. I finally understand how LLC work's, but should I leave it on 6 while adaptative?
That is a pretty reasonable setting for the LLC
3. Should I tweak CPU Current capability to 140%? What about VRM spread spectrum- gotta disable?
I'd leave Auto for both
4. CPU core/cache current limit needs to be set to 255?
Yes 255.50 (just type in something like 55555 and enter and it will set it to the max 255.50)
5. I still have a problem with that + and - while using adaptive, what should I use together with Offset voltage at the beginning? Just leave it on auto?
I would, yes
7. Why there is such a huge gap between LLC 6 and 7? When Im using LLC with 1.26v it shows 1.248 in CPUZ during stress test, however using auto (LLC 7) it goes to up 1.28.
LLC 7 tends to over shoot and is generally best to avoid using. I'd stay with 6
8. My idle and load temps are stable with small differences between cores, however is it normal that they spike ...
Yes, the spikes are normal it's indicative of a core doing some heavy work and as long as the spikes are brief you are OK. Generally you want to watch averages. Its when the those spikes start holding those peaks and not dropping that you might be concerned. For a heavy workload like OCCT and Prime95 etc you probably want to keep averages no more than 80C for a max. You might want to consider setting the AVX offset to 2. This will help the temps better under AVX workloads, and from what I've read from others (have not tested myself) it has a positive affect when SVID is left as Best case, helping to keep the voltages stable.

Another suggestion for your config, though not necessary, would be to set:
Min. CPU Cache Ratio 42
Max CPU Cache Ratio 42

I'm no expert. I am an enthusiast who has tried a lot of stuff. These suggestions may or may not be necessarily the best but I hope you find some value in them.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Delta9K wrote:
I personally tend to have better luck using manual vs. adaptive but, that is not what you are asking about so I am going to answer as best I can, tailored to your particular situation.

Yes, the spikes are normal it's indicative of a core doing some heavy work and as long as the spikes are brief you are OK. Generally you want to watch averages. Its when the those spikes start holding those peaks and not dropping that you might be concerned. For a heavy workload like OCCT and Prime95 etc you probably want to keep averages no more than 80C for a max.

Thank you for the tips and answers.

At this moment I'm dissappointed in adaptavive voltage since I can't set it right and I'm back to manual voltage- 1.25 LLC6 at 4700 without AVX.
The problem is that adaptative is reaching 1.34V while I set it on 1.25 and I tried both negative and positive values, tried diffrent values with offset but I cant set it right. Only in cinebench my CPU is getting 1.26V which is fine, but in Realbench, OCCT or playing games its getting way more than 1.3, and thats something I cant accept.
Can you help me with this case? How to set it so it stays close to 1.25 instead of rising that high? Or I should just go with manual voltage?
Idle temps with adaptative are great (28C), but it's bad when under load they're 10C higher than testing with manual voltage.

About the spikes- yes, they're incredibly brief, often less than 1 second, so I guess its all fine. I think that 70-80c while recording in FHD should be fine, considering OBS is using AVX, right?

One more question about CPU Current capability- does it affect temps or stability? In BIOS description it sounds like its a good feature.

Thanks,
DG

PS. What about BLCK Aware Adaptative voltage? Auto or off? Derdauer says to turn it off, but he aimed for 5ghz

Check out this thread. One of the participants has links to some guides focused on adaptive overclock.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102459-I-need-help-with-Adaptive-Offset-voltage

Adaptive can be finicky - It's fun to work with if you enjoy "tweaking" settings, testing them and then repeating the process until you find that magic sweet spot. That's why I have a system that is just for that but, Sometimes I just want to apply an overclock to help get a little "free" performance and be done with it, so I can get to actually using the system. That's when I like using the manual method.

Looks like you have seen der8auer's ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO - Overclocking Test and Guide for 8700K, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU&t=213s).
That is a solid easy way to apply a simple overclock. If you are wanting to run lower voltages and clocks, then I'd start by following the guide and changing only the values he uses for the core ratio and core core voltage, substituting 4.7 for core ratio and 1.26v for Core voltage - leaving everything else as he does. You may need to adjust your core voltage a bit depending on your CPU but 1.26v is a great start for 4.7GHz all cores and if it is stable then you can try stepping it down until its not stable and then stepping up just above that point. If 1.26 is not enough just step it up a bit until stable.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

dyymeek
Level 7
Yes, I did see that video and I started using his advices.

This is what I tested so far with manual voltage and LLC6-
5.0 1.37V stable, high temps 90+ (AVX1)
5.0 1.35V crash (AVX1)
4.7 1.26V stable, max spikes at 85, normal 75
4.7 1.25V and 1.24V seems stable, however crashes in OCCT (usually error CORE3), saving 2-3C over 1.26V
4.6 1.21 stable

Seem's like OCCT is a heavy hitter here, since I can lower my voltages a bit and it's still working fine. Im testing with Cinebench (3-5 runs), Realbench (3-5 runs), Aida64 (seem's easy) and 20m OCCT tests.

Now let's get back to the adaptive and the sweet spot. I already checked a couple of settings and I kinda don't understand this process to be honest, however I'm determined to learn. Leaving offset on auto is a bad idea, so at this moment I'm checking manual settings.
This is what is looks like at this moment:
1.25V -0.07 offset with highest power limits, LLC6 and best case scenario. Its working atm and Im passing the tests. During Cinebench Im sitting at 1.184V jumping to 1.2V, which is very low, HOWEVER with the exact same setting in OCCT I'm getting 1.26V... Does it work like this? It automatically detects higher loads with AVX and then setting the voltages? This seems to be reasonable I guess.

Can someone explain me, like to a newborn money, how to set it up and which way should I go? Should I use 1.2 and positive offset, or 1.25 and negative offset, does it even matter in the end? LLC is there aswell and I'm kinda lost, hmm...

Settings at this moment:
XMP 3200
Sync all cores 47
Best case scenario
AVX off
MCE off
Power limits to the maximum
Turbo and C states on
LLC lvl6
Load lines 0.01
Cache ratio auto
BCLK aware auto
Adaptive 1.25V, negative 0.07
DRAM 1.35
System and VCCIO voltages at auto

dyymeek
Level 7
Anyone? ;- )

Still can't figure out how to set adaptive voltage, sometimes I think it's working, but it's not. Acting like a drunk mode hitting 1.29V without a reason when oppening a game, while it's 1.24 with offset -0.02. Why can't it work like intended- never go above that value I just set up, come on! Is this bugged? I have newest 805 bios.