ROG Enthusiast Array Quixote PC Specs
    Quixote PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VII Formula
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLT4KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0+ Graphics Card with Backplate 06G-P4-4995-KR
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    Storage #1Crucial MX200 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    Storage #2Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i PSU
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit
    Accessory #1 ROG Front Base Panel
    Accessory #2 NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion

Help me diagnose this start-up problem with my system (M7F).

Thanks beforehand for reading and any insight you might have into this problem.

I've been dealing with an issue with my system's power up / boot process.

Currently, when I start up my system, roughly over half of the startups result in a boot loop (or maybe it would be more accurately called a power-up loop). It doesn't happen with every single start up - just around 60% of them, and sometimes doesn't startup again normally for days.

What it does:

The system attempts to start up for a split second, with 00 on the mobo's q-code display, and then it shuts down almost a split second later, repeating this on/off loop over and over without stopping until I cut power to the whole thing by turning off the PSU.

I usually can't just shut it down by holding down the start button. The board's basic lights stay on throughout the loops (the ROG red light's breathing effect in the center of the mobo, for example, stays constant as long as I don't cut off the PSU; the start and reset buttons also stay lit).

I have done all the usual things to try to isolate the problem - reset the CMOS, flashed the BIOS, checked and rechecked all of the connections, used a plug-in tester on the PSU (which seems to say it works fine with numbers exactly as they should be, but who knows), reseated the CPU, the pump, the RAM, checked and tested the RAM (no problems), etc... all the usual.

Here's the key bit: I have stripped everything off the mobo (including removing the CPU itself), put it on the cardboard box it came in, and just plugged the board in naked to the PSU. I found that when it was just plugged into the 24-pin main power connector (in other words, I don't plug in the 8-pin CPU power connector up near the CPU area), the board does not go into a power-up/shut-off loop. The Q-code still says 00, but that's to be expected, I would suppose, since there's no CPU present. The point is that it doesn't go into that usual on/off loop that I described earlier if only the 24-pin connector is giving it juice.

However, when I also plug in the 8-pin CPU power cable and start it up, that's when it goes into the on/off loop, showing the 00 code, which turns on and off with the board's power loop.

When I remove the 8-pin CPU power cable again, and just leave the 24-pin power cable, it does not go into the loop. I've tried the same test over and over just to make sure. With the board completely stripped down and no CPU chip in the slot, the loop still only happens when the 8-pin CPU power cable is also plugged in.

Note: I have also used an extra, brand new 8-pin cable to make sure it's not a bum cable. Same result. The loop still occurs.

For a while, I thought it was the PSU, and I still haven't completely ruled it out since I just used one of those digital display plug-in testers and not a multimeter, but I'm not so sure now. That loop only happens with the CPU power cable plugged in.

What's going on? Any ideas or suggestions what this could be? Is it something on the board? Is it a failure of the PSU to provide adequate power when both connectors (the 24-pin and the CPU power) are plugged in? I'm at a loss on this.
    Last edited by Quixote; 06-28-2018 at 02:42 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Rob W. PC Specs
    Rob W. PC Specs
    MotherboardRog Asus Rampage vi extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7980x Oc 4.6ghz 24/7
    Memory (part number)64 gb GSkill 3600mhz (8x8) 15,15,15,35
    Graphics Card #1nvidia Titan V + ekwb custom loop
    Graphics Card #2nvidia RTX 2080Ti on air.
    Sound Cardonboard?
    MonitorIAsus PA329Q 4k 32"
    Storage #1samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB. M2 nvme
    Storage #2Samsung ssd 970 evo 500gb m2 nvme
    CPU CoolerEKwb custom loop
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i 1200w
    Keyboard Logitech G910 orion spark
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus core
    OS Win 10
    Network Routerbt infinity super fast.
    Accessory #1 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD
    Accessory #2 Aqeuaro 6xt fan controller
    Accessory #3 Intel Optane 280gb

Hi Quixote, have you tried removing mobo from case and trying it on “box it came in” that would rule out any shorting probs,
    Also I read an article recently that cables can be wired differently from different manufacturers, the 8 pin one ?
    Try it out of case first.*

Quixote PC Specs
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLT4KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0+ Graphics Card with Backplate 06G-P4-4995-KR
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Rob W. View Post
    Hi Quixote, have you tried removing mobo from case and trying it on “box it came in” that would rule out any shorting probs,
    Also I read an article recently that cables can be wired differently from different manufacturers, the 8 pin one ?
    Try it out of case first.*
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it's out of the case right now, laid on the literal box it came in, with everything stripped from it, even the CPU. The cables themselves came with the RM1000i (Corsair) PSU that I have used with this system since I built it a few years ago. This is the first time that this sort of issue has ever come up; and I tried a new 8-pin CPU cable in case the old one was defective. No difference. The loop still happens when both the 24-pin ATX cable and the 8-pin CPU cable are plugged in.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

00 code is CPU
    Power, bent pins, CPU, too much pressure on CPU from heat sink mount causing corners to bow up.

A spare PSU would come in handy but as already pointed out this would be best dealt with outside of the case or you could end up chasing your tail over a grounding issue.

Quixote PC Specs
    Processori7 4790K
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    00 code is CPU
    Power, bent pins, CPU, too much pressure on CPU from heat sink mount causing corners to bow up.

A spare PSU would come in handy but as already pointed out this would be best dealt with outside of the case or you could end up chasing your tail over a grounding issue.
    Hi Justin,

A 00 q-code is sometimes related to bent pins, a bad CPU, etc., among other causes from what I understand. However, I'm not sure if you read my entire post above, but I'm focused on the power-up loop because this loop happens whether or not the CPU is installed or not.

As I said above, the mobo is outside of the case on the box it came in with zero components on it, not even a CPU. The loop only happens when the extra 8-pin CPU power cable is plugged into the mobo. Again, this happens regardless of whether the CPU is in the slot or out of the slot. The 00 code that shows up when the CPU isn't installed only makes sense, I would guess (no CPU). The one factor that makes the loop occur seems to be when the 8-pin CPU power cable is plugged in, and I do not know why that would happen, hence my post.
    Last edited by Quixote; 06-28-2018 at 02:27 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88

I'm running the same CPU on my old Z97 Maximus VII. I get Q code 00 on a good boot. I'm assuming this system was previously stable but now isn't?
    Have you tried removing the PCE/GPU and starting up with just the built in iGPU? This might help to narrow down the problem.

Quixote PC Specs
    Processori7 4790K
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by chevell65 View Post
    I'm running the same CPU on my old Z97 Maximus VII. I get Q code 00 on a good boot. I'm assuming this system was previously stable but now isn't?
    Have you tried removing the PCE/GPU and starting up with just the built in iGPU? This might help to narrow down the problem.
    Hello chevell65,

Everything is off the board currently. It's on a box, and there are zero components attached, including no GPU, yet the loop still happens. I am not able to start it up without it falling into a power on/off loop when the 8-pin power connector near the CPU is plugged in, and this is regardless of whether or not the CPU is placed in the slot. When the 8-pin CPU power cable isn't plugged in, the loop does not occur.

And, yes, the system was stable before this. This problem began to occur around 60% of the time about four weeks ago.
    Last edited by Quixote; 06-28-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Quixote PC Specs
    Processori7 4790K
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit

Anyone think all of this sounds like something is wrong with the VRM on the motherboard?