cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows won’t install

Sverre
Level 9
I have a RVE that I’m trying to reinstall Windiws 10 pro on.

Yesterday AI Suite didn’t work, so I selected a Restore Point. After that Windows entered repair mode, every time I tried reebooting.
Today I started installing Windows 10 from scratch. If I boot for UEFI DVD, it doesn’t detect the DVD. If I try booting without UEFI it will hang on the Windows logo, before I even get to choose language, regional settings and keyboard layout. I then tried installing from a USB-pin. UEFI doesn’t detect it, without it, it boots. First time I got to 85% of the files copied, before it froze, every successive try has stopped at the Windows logo, as the DVD. I have tried both BIOSs, no difference. I have reset the BIOS, no difference.

I’m totally lost here. I’ve installed untold numbers of Windows, from 1.02 to Windows 10, but never seen a problem like this. The USB could be infected with a virus, but not the DVD, so I’m wondering if this is a problem with the BIOS. Can the BIOS be infected? Is the BIOS broken (no way both can be)? Is there something with my CPU (5960x)?

I have ordered a new SSD and was thinking of installing Windows on that one, on another PC, and then use it on this PC. Any suggestions? I have an iDrive image of my C-drive, but I’m not even sure if I should bother.*
[/URL]
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
Could be a bad drive or some other hardware failure. Try the new drive you ordered, one stick of memory, and remove any overclocks.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Could be a bad drive or some other hardware failure. Try the new drive you ordered, one stick of memory, and remove any overclocks.

How can it be a bad drive when I haven’t even gotten to the point where I select the drive to install on?*
[/URL]

Sverre wrote:
How can it be a bad drive when I haven’t even gotten to the point where I select the drive to install on?*

The drive is recognized and initialized earlier than that. Not saying it's likely but the more you can reduce complexity and swap components the more possibilities you can eliminate. Anyway I was mainly agreeing with your attempt to start with a fresh drive.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

JustinThyme
Level 13
BIOS to optimed defaults, CSM enabled to install from USB.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Sverre
Level 9
I've made a bootable USB with iDrive recovery tools to put an image, stored on my backup USB drive, onto the C-drive. Will see how that works, before trying to use the new SSD I bought (so I can get my money back. The PC I'm talking about is not worth putting too much money into, as it is a spare/Media Server).
[/URL]

Sverre
Level 9
Installed Windows PE, formatted the drive and then reinstalled. Worked like a dream.
[/URL]

xeromist
Great! Glad to hear it worked out.