cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus X Apex New Bios will not allow MCE (Turbo) on stock 8700k

Gold333
Level 7
Hi all,

Just flashed to the new 1401 BIOS from Asus and selected optimized defaults. I then switched on XMP.

Everything is set to Auto, I am not OC'ing.
Multicore Enhancement is set to Auto
CPU Core Ratio is Set to Auto

I notice that under load (Cinebench, Intelburn test) the max freqency of all processors limit at 4.3 ghz instead of 4.7 (which is what turning on MCE should enable).

What am I doing wrong?

Idle:

Load:

System:
8700K Stock
Asus Maximus Apex X
GSkill Trident Z 2x8gb 3200-14's
Windows 10 set to high performance power setting
6 REPLIES 6

Gold333
Level 7
Whoah I figured it out. For some reason you have to set CPU Core Ratio not to Auto but to "Sync all cores".

If you do that then all cores run at 4.7ghz but the Asus X Apex pushes the vCore up to 1.376 volts ! That's toasty, 86c!

This CPU isn't even overclocked!

Is it normal for the Asus X Apex to push vCore so high on auto if you enable all cores to run at 4.7ghz using "Multi core enhancement: Auto" and "Ratio: Sync All Cores"?

If you set MCE: Auto and CPU Core Ratio: Auto then the Apex X will set 1.248v vCore but all cores under load will perform at 4.3 ghz instead of 4.7ghz.

Menthol
Level 14
I believe that is normal behavior, I would personally recommend setting vcore to adaptive mode, every CPU is different, mine is stable with all cores at & 1.3 v

Menthol wrote:
I believe that is normal behavior, I would personally recommend setting vcore to adaptive mode, every CPU is different, mine is stable with all cores at & 1.3 v

No way I wanna have this thing run at 1.376 volts.

I just changed it back to Multi Core Enhancement: Auto, Cpu Core Ratio: Auto.

4.3 Ghz on all cores is enough for me. Most of my games don't even pass 50% cpu usage that way.

I was just suprised the Asus X Apex over volts so much. 1.376 v just to run all cores at the stock 4.7 ghz (but unstaggered so not really stock).

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The voltages set using auto are based on worst case processors when overclocking. Some samples do need close to 1.4V to run all cores at 4.7GHz.

Praz wrote:
Hello

The voltages set using auto are based on worst case processors when overclocking. Some samples do need close to 1.4V to run all cores at 4.7GHz.

Thanks, I thought my cpu was bad.

Zammin
Level 9
I encountered this issue when I first got my 8700k and maximus hero. It took a long time to get the answer but it turned out that at some point Asus changed the default setting in the bios from sync all cores to per core frequency. This was because of all the contreversy surrounding MCE boosting the CPU to 4.7 in all cores during benchmarking and instability in blender when z370 first came out. I found it was much better to set an overclock manually. I was able to get 4.8Ghz at 1.275V in bios with LLC4 in adaptive mode, this led to a load voltage of 1.232V during stress testing. A perfectly acceptable result for a non delidded chip on a decent cooler.