cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaned my 1070 last night, did i just push dust further in?

Akiro1337
Level 7
First off, i gamed before I cleaned my GPU, and in the game i played i usually max out at 58 and it usually keeps bouncing between 53-56 until the end where it hits 58 After cleaning I hitted 61 at the beginning, but it drops back but not around the 53-56 usually 56-57 and stops around 59
PUBG usually 66 before and 68 after.
I took a benchmark Heavens usually I hit 70 max in this heat, now after just 10 minutes I hit 72. I cleaned the GPU from the back where the displayports are first, then the top of the fans (Looking straight on the fans) Then the last i cleaned the front (Not where the PCI-E lane is) the other side. My room temp is around 24-27 degress.
I have a pic of the temps You can see here what they are on + fanspeed and speed % https://i.imgur.com/B0DY4VS.png
My card is from September 2016. Am I just paranoid or did i screw something up? 😛
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Akiro1337 wrote:
My room temp is around 24-27 degress.

This is a bigger range than the range you are getting from the GPU so it's not really possible to say with any certainty...probably just variation in ambient temp assuming you treated the card with care while doing this. Just make sure the cooler hasn't loosened I guess...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This is a bigger range than the range you are getting from the GPU so it's not really possible to say with any certainty...probably just variation in ambient temp assuming you treated the card with care while doing this. Just make sure the cooler hasn't loosened I guess...

Well, it was the same temp when I played before I cleaned it, I don't think something got lose. I think I was careful enough, I had a bit of a problem getting the card back in, but i took my time (worst thing i might have done, was maybe press a little bit hard on the plastic surrounding the fans.

Akiro1337
Level 7
Just adding this.
On my Case I usually had this backplate, next to the PCI-e lanes, on the P400S, I usually had that one removed, i putted that back on last night You can see what i am talking about here, when he screw it lose and put it to the side, i just completly removed mine, but putted it back on, but that shouldn't affect temps? https://youtu.be/dDCzFrfzylg?t=11m

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It might affect temps...if it was a route that promoted higher airflow through the case...you just have to go about things testing (just test like for like).

brkkab123
Level 7
When you cleaned the video card, did you clean the rest of the inside of your PC?
That could be a issue to if you didn't clean all of the inside of the case fans, etc., the video card will just reget all the dust and gunk that was already in your case to begin with.

brkkab123 wrote:
When you cleaned the video card, did you clean the rest of the inside of your PC?
That could be a issue to if you didn't clean all of the inside of the case fans, etc., the video card will just reget all the dust and gunk that was already in your case to begin with.

Yes i did clean the inside, before putting in my GFX again. I also took it out today and took that extra part i installed on, nothing changed. maybe it's just because of the heat it's like 26 degress. can just be me. overthinking it. but I don't know if those stresstest temps are acceptable or over what is normal for a strix card.

Akiro1337
Level 7
On a note, i might think my fans just turn on now at 58 degrees, can that be a possibility after i cleaned it?
Edit. I think they kick in at Late 57-58 degree temp, i have never fooled with the asus fan curve, always been on Auto 🙂

Akiro1337
Level 7
Anyone?

stewart_1
Level 8
A few thoughts you can consider. If you cleaned the card only to find that temps are now actually higher, there's a chance that the GPU card fans might be clogged with dust and failing to turn at optimal speed. A fan could also be hindered by the plastic housing if it was damaged at all when you reinstalled it. Did you remove the entire cooler at any stage in the cleaning process? Anything less than a solid contact between cooler and GPU will result in higher temps.