MotherboardASUS x299 Prime Deluxe
    Processori9-7900X
    Memory (part number)32GB GSKIL CL14
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15
    OS Windows 10 Pro, Debian

Update:
    Tried different boot options, debug, multiple safe mode etc. - issue still persists even in safe mode.

ROG Enthusiast Array Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Processori9-7900X
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15

Done fresh install of Windows 1803 and:
    - issue with explorer still persists, but it's a little bit better I would say
    - CPU-Z now behaves correctly

At this point I have mixed feeling about motherboard. Seams like there is no other way but just get myself another unit and test it to be sure.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Hard to say, difficult to suggest things vicariously, but if the issue is occurring straight out of the gate from a fresh install then it sounds like it might be a device connected to the system, perhaps. I doubt exchanging the board will make any difference.

Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Processori9-7900X
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15

So far on "windows sluggish" show (so it's easier to read, things that I already tried):

- mounting another CPU (same model, newer batch)
    - deliding (disappointing performances, got like -10*C max)
    - using one RAM module (have quad channel)
    - swapping RAM module to different slots
    - using 2nd GPUs (970 & 1080Ti)
    - swapping GTX1080Ti into different PCIE slot
    - using only 1 SATA SSD drive (normally system has 5 drives, 1xNVME Samsung, 2xSSD Samsung Evo / Pro, 3xHDD - all WD)
    - installing up to date OS (Windows 1803 resolves issue with CPU-Z )
    - plugging in only keyboard (different one, CM XT, this is spare one not used)

All above make no difference.

In general performance is OK, only responsiveness on Windows Open/Save File Dialogues or Opening multiple windows explorer instances lags.
    On Linux opening 10 instances of file manager, in this case Nautilus, works much faster then on Windows (practically instantly)
    No thermal throttle detected.
    BIOS up to date, this time no impact on lag, it's more or less same as using older BIOS.

Noticed mouse lag when compiling project using MSVC2017 (no to much using earlier msvc versions) on Linux using gcc not mouse lag whatsoever.

No additional apps / re-bloated Windows so only essentials running nothing in task scheduler or autorun / startup etc. (it doesn't matter as same things happens on fresh install).

At this point it's either:
    - motherboard issue, one that I got was already opened so someone else was running - probably - it.
    - some cable is loose / causes short ?

As You may expect this is important issue for me because I'm stuck with this platform for next 3-4 years.
    Last edited by Lu_GRU; 07-09-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo

Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Processori9-7900X
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15

Just to be clear when this happens, i.e. when Windows explorer lags whole OS lags, and i.e. attempting to open Task Manager in between each new windows explorer window shows (assuming showing i.e. 10 windows scenario) will result in lag so this is not only related to Explorer application but whole OS.

Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Processori9-7900X
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15

While messing around with BIOS settings I stumble upon interesting and very strange behaviour with SATA controller disable / enable.

I'm using dual boot (Debian & Windows 10 on NVME drive) and after choosing / or time out / on grub when windows starts to load it usually took 2 whole circle spins (whole circle spin is when these dots hide and nothing is visible) and then desktop is shown (around 20+sec).

While working on issue at hand I did disabled SATA controller in BIOS and ... boot from GRUB to Windows Desktop was around 3 times faster (2/3 of one whole spin)... And here is strange part. After enabling SATA controller again windows load time was still at this 2/3 of one spin (around 9 sec).

At this point I don't know what's going on. But because this affect only Windows, and with recent "feature improvements" that caused many PC to boot loop etc., I'm betting that it's MS fault at this point. Well after updating to 1803 CPU-Z fixed itself for me so maybe with update 9999 this Windows 10 will be usable ???
    Last edited by Lu_GRU; 07-22-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Processori9-7900X
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15

Update on issue:
    Enabling / disabling SATA controller did not fixed my issue.

Strange BSO:
    Super hot day today, 30*C, and I got BSOD with CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION error. Happened only once on Windows 10P, no load, just browsing web and had few apps in background.
    This is the first time from purchase that I did seen this BSOD, cpu temps are at 40*-60*C tops.

ROG Member Array

I'm having issues with my x299. Running a i9 7920x. Although I am not experiencing lag in windows as you are, I am having some weird perforamance issues in cpu intensive applications such as zbrush and keyshot. My i7-8650U in my surface book is giving me better performance in zbrush and keyshot than my i9.

After countless days of troubleshooting I'm tipping it's either a faulty motherboard of faulty CPU.

As you have stated disabling 2 cores gives you better performance than all cores enabled, I really think your issue is too with the motherboard or cpu. But here is the catch.....you have tried a separate cpu and having same results. So that leaves one component you have yet to rule out after reading all your posts...….your motherboard.

I think you have an issue with the motherboard..

ROG Member Array

Our of curiosity, what PSU are you using?

Lu_GRU PC Specs
    Processori9-7900X
    Storage #1NVME Samsung
    CPU CoolerNH-D15

@mosti
    Thanks for Your input, what hw do You own? Also x299 Prime Deluxe?

Of course I also tried to disable in BIOS various controllers, i.e. network, wifi, USB (except for 2 port obviously), and SATA (see previous post regarding that one, results are at best puzzling for me).

I will take some time but I will eventually check motherboard, now I'm stuck with incorrectly delidded CPU (mild OC and 105*C on 6 cores, 4 cores have 83*C) and some other issue not to mention busy project at work. It will happen eventually and will report back here.

My PSU is: SeaSonic Prime Titanium 850W, I use wall power meter and max I seen was 600-650W in fur mark, usually it tops at 350 W for my work load (mostly code compilation).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast