cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Home Theatre Receiver?

ThunderAI
Level 7
Which Home Theatre Receiver do you use for the Asus Raid DLX? I can't seem to find a receiver which has all of the necessary inputs.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
You really only need a single optical SPDIF to connect a sound card to a receiver. If you want to do it analog you would look for a receiver with discrete channel inputs and use 1/8 jack to rca cables most likely.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You really only need a single optical SPDIF to connect a sound card to a receiver. If you want to do it analog you would look for a receiver with discrete channel inputs and use 1/8 jack to rca cables most likely.

I thought the optical output was only 2 channel. Does it carry all 8 channels to the receiver, and if not isn't that a waste of a good sound card? In looking for a receiver with discrete channel inputs the only one i've found are dedicated pc receiveres like the creative ones. I suppose you could buy a 5.1 and a 2.1 receiver make a 7.2 sound system that way.

xeromist
Plain uncompressed PCM is two channels. S/PDIF supports surround sound as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is best to find a receiver with RCA inputs if you want to utilize all the sound enhancements.

S/PDIF has the limitation of outputting 5.1 max (no 7.1). Might as well use HDMI to output both video and 7.1 audio, but it defeats the purpose of having a sound card in the first place.

Picking a receiver may be difficult unfortunately, HDMI is the now the norm so very few still offer multiple RCA inputs for surround sound, only stereo.

If the receiver is dedicated to your PC, you can find some quality older receivers at great prices.