cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime X470-Pro fans keep running after shutdown

NuxxWarboy
Level 7
Having trouble trying to fix this. When I shut the system down, whether from Start menu or Pwr button, the case and cooling fans keep running. The only way to turn them off is to shut off pwr. I've reset CMOS via the jumpers, R&R'd the battery and reviewed Windows power options. Nothing changes.

Running Stock bios settings except for DOCP in Tweaker to reflect the rated speed of the Ram speed.

I know I'm not the first to have this problem, but it's not that common. One site refers to an extensive thread on it here dating from 2012, although I could only find an archived version to review. The solution referenced, clearing CMOS, didn't work for me. Anyone know something I don't? If so, thanks in advance.

AMD 2700x
Asus Prime X470-Pro Bios 4011
G.SKILL Flare X 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Corsair HI60 v2018 liquid
Nvidea Gforce 1060 Founders Ed.
Seasonic Focus 650 gold
Samsung Evo 970 M.2
Corsair 270R box
Windows 10-64bit
3 REPLIES 3

brkkab123
Level 7
Try this it has to do with Windows 8 - 10 and not the motherboard, as far as this part goes.
When you click on Shutdown in Windows, since Windows 8 it doesn't actually turn off your PC, it put's it into Hybrid Sleep.
To truly turn Windows 8 - 10 off you need to click on Restart (instead of Shutdown), after the Restart at the login screen, click on the power icon on the lower right side and click on Shutdown.
That's the only way your PC actually shuts off properly and should turn the motherbooard/fans,etc. off too.
Give that a try and see what happens.
If the fans still spin after doing this, then it's a mobo/uefi/driver issue.

brkkab123 wrote:
At the login screen, click on the power icon on the lower right side and click on Shutdown.That's the only way your PC actually shuts off properly and should turn the motherbooard/fans,etc. off too. Give that a try and see what happens. If the fans still spin after doing this, then it's a mobo/uefi/driver issue.

No difference, but thanks for the suggestion.

brkkab123 wrote:
Also do you have your 2700X overclocked ? If yes, with 4 sticks of DDR4 3200 ram, you're only gonna get a 2933 or 2966 speed out of all 4 sticks, so you may need to adjust your ram settings in the uefi. I've read all up on this as I have the 2700X already and am getting the Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi next, followed by either 32GBs 92 Sets) of either G-Skill Flare X DDR4 3200 or Sniper X DDR4 34** ram.

Just running the DOCP settings for the RAM spec. Runs great. No need to OC with the 2700x really as it's only a couple hundred MHz. CPUZ showed it peaking at 43XX MHz over the weekend stock, way higher than I could get it to run without massive voltage upticking.

ASUS has escalated to engineering. I suspect they'll RMA it, which I can do through Amazon anyway since it's a new build. I'd just rather not have to disassemble, wait, reassemble. Given an RMA, I'll probably upgrade the board as I've heard a few complaints about it being lower end (lol at $180?)

Thanks for responding.

brkkab123
Level 7
Also do you have your 2700X overclocked ?
If yes, with 4 sticks of DDR4 3200 ram, you're only gonna get a 2933 or 2966 speed out of all 4 sticks, so you may need to adjust your ram settings in the uefi.
I've read all up on this as I have the 2700X already and am getting the Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi next, followed by either 32GBs 92 Sets) of either G-Skill Flare X DDR4 3200 or Sniper X DDR4 34** ram.