Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    68

    You're welcome.

    From the link you posted:

    DR modules can often be a smidge faster thanks to a capability called “rank interleaving,” wherein the second memory rank can still perform work while the first is being refreshed for use. However, DR modules are often harder for a system to drive to high frequency, which is why most high-performance memory kits use multiple 4GB or 8GB SR memory sticks. The extra frequency achievable by the SR memory modules is often enough to overcome the small performance benefit of DR DIMMs, too.
    And the conclusions:
    Conclusion #1: Dual rank DIMMs (yellow) offered the best performance amongst “set and forget” (light blue, orange, yellow) memory configured automatically by XMP profiles.
    Conclusion #1a: But the increased overclocking headroom of single rank modules was more than enough to overpower the benefits of rank interleaving, so manually-tuned single rank DDR4-3200 and 3466 won the day (dark blue and green).
    Personally I prefer to "set and forget". For those who want the max performance, and don't mind investing the time to tune settings, single rank still seems like the way to go. But for 32GB+ capacity, the point is moot, since either 4 DIMMs and/or dual rank is necessary.
    Last edited by gorpo; 07-04-2018 at 01:13 AM.

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array syldon PC Specs
    syldon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus crosshair VII
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW running at 3466 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Storage #1480gb M2 samsung m961
    Storage #21tb 850 evo and 2tb 850 evo
    CPU Coolercorsair hydro 110i
    Casegeneric
    Power Supplytitanium 1600w platinum
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po
    Network RouterVirgin media super hub 2
    Accessory #1 https://imgur.com/KRQSu70
    syldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    198

    Elmor stated that for the CH7 2 x 16 is better a long time back. I moved from the CH6 to the CH7. I used 4 x 8 on the CH6 with relatively few issues on earlier bios revision. On the later revisions I found I was one strap down. I couldn't get beyond 3333 with 4 sticks.
    On the CH7 I couldn't get any sort of stability at 3333 with 4x8. So I gave up on trying with 4 sticks after that. This was using Sammy b die rated at 4000mhz.

    So if you are really insistent on 32gb then 2x16 is the way to go. Max speeds is reckoned at 3333.

  3. #13
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    68

    Quote Originally Posted by syldon View Post
    Elmor stated that for the CH7 2 x 16 is better a long time back. I moved from the CH6 to the CH7. I used 4 x 8 on the CH6 with relatively few issues on earlier bios revision. On the later revisions I found I was one strap down. I couldn't get beyond 3333 with 4 sticks.
    On the CH7 I couldn't get any sort of stability at 3333 with 4x8. So I gave up on trying with 4 sticks after that. This was using Sammy b die rated at 4000mhz.

    So if you are really insistent on 32gb then 2x16 is the way to go. Max speeds is reckoned at 3333.
    Out of curiosity, do you know what the max speeds are currently for 4 x 16GB ?

  4. #14
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array syldon PC Specs
    syldon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus crosshair VII
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW running at 3466 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Storage #1480gb M2 samsung m961
    Storage #21tb 850 evo and 2tb 850 evo
    CPU Coolercorsair hydro 110i
    Casegeneric
    Power Supplytitanium 1600w platinum
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po
    Network RouterVirgin media super hub 2
    Accessory #1 https://imgur.com/KRQSu70
    syldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    198

    Quote Originally Posted by gorpo View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know what the max speeds are currently for 4 x 16GB ?
    I don't remember seeing anyone post a set up that works with 4x16. There is a post regarding 2x2x16 that works though.




    Edited to correct memory size.
    Last edited by syldon; 07-06-2018 at 12:49 AM.

  5. #15
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    68

    For a second I thought you meant 2 x 32GB modules...

    So it's interesting. Someone got 2 x F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (same kit as I have) working with a 1800X at 3333 MT/s on a C6H. But later someone with the 2700X and a quad stick kit got only to 2933 on a gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 7, though that is the rated spec for their F4-2933C14Q-64GFX.

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array syldon PC Specs
    syldon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus crosshair VII
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW running at 3466 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Storage #1480gb M2 samsung m961
    Storage #21tb 850 evo and 2tb 850 evo
    CPU Coolercorsair hydro 110i
    Casegeneric
    Power Supplytitanium 1600w platinum
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po
    Network RouterVirgin media super hub 2
    Accessory #1 https://imgur.com/KRQSu70
    syldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    198

    Quote Originally Posted by gorpo View Post
    For a second I thought you meant 2 x 32GB modules...

    So it's interesting. Someone got 2 x F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (same kit as I have) working with a 1800X at 3333 MT/s on a C6H. But later someone with the 2700X and a quad stick kit got only to 2933 on a gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 7, though that is the rated spec for their F4-2933C14Q-64GFX.
    Sorry, it is 2x16 x2. It was just a post I found while looking for another. I was certain someone had posted on the CH6 post with 64gb set up. I couldn't find it though. This one just came up in the search.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •