cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32GB kit for Crosshair VII Hero

erefer
Level 7
Hi there, could you recommend me a working 32gb kit for Crosshair VII Hero?
I'd appreciate the answer from someone who has this board and uses 32gb without problems.
I want to buy DDR4 3200 C14 but I haven't found anything in the QVL list and I am afraid that I will buy it and don't work.
15 REPLIES 15

brkkab123
Level 7
Just 2 of the DDR4 3200 16GB kits. Just by both at the same time.
From experience in the past if you buy 1 kit now and then by a 2nd kit of the same ram down the road, sometimes the timings for the 2 kits are different slightly and cause issues.
If you buy both kit's at the same time from the same place, both kits will have been made at the same time and no issues will be experienced.
Be forewarned from what I heard on the X470 mobo's. If you fill all 4 slots and have 32GB or more total ram, you'll need to drop the ram speed down slightly, if you overclock the cpu.
For DDR4 3200, it would be DDR4 2933 or 2966.
I also found on Newegg that G-Skill Sniper X DDR4 3466 is slightly cheaper than both G-Skill Sniper X DDR4 3400 and G-Skill Flare X DDR4 3200.
According to G-Skill's Ram Configurator those 3 kits work with the Crosshair VII Hero and Hero Wi-Fi mobo's.
I'm getting the Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi and 32GBs of the G_Skill Sniper X DDR4 3466 over the rest of summer and early fall to go with my Ryzen R7 2700X cup.

erefer
Level 7
Thank you for the info 🙂

gorpo
Level 7
It's generally advised to avoid 4 modules if possible. 2X16GB GSKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTZ works fine with the C7H @ 3200 DOCP. There are also several SKUs of the same RAM with different colors of heat spreaders (GTZ) or RGB (GTZR) but functionally they should be identical.

I am currently using CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3466MHz C16 Desktop Memory. 4 sticks so only running at 3200 with stable timings at 14-17-17-32-47. Working nicely after figuring out the timing. Could have gotten higher speeds with two sticks but I just like having all the slots filled.

gorpo wrote:
It's generally advised to avoid 4 modules if possible. 2X16GB GSKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTZ works fine with the C7H @ 3200 DOCP. There are also several SKUs of the same RAM with different colors of heat spreaders (GTZ) or RGB (GTZR) but functionally they should be identical.

Do you have these and have you checked them with memtest86 for no errors? I have two kits of flarex that wont run error free without increased SOC voltage.

According to GSKILL this 4 stick kit is QVL but it would be great to get the extra bump from dual rank kits instead.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-32gtzrx

srsbsns wrote:
According to GSKILL this 4 stick kit is QVL but it would be great to get the extra bump from dual rank kits instead.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-32gtzrx

What extra bump?

The F4-3200C14D-32GTZ passed memtest86 when I first got them, but I don't remember the parameters I tested with. With memory at 3200 DOCP settings and CPU (PE, CPB, PBO) and SOC settings on Auto, I had no errors in 24 hours of y-cruncher and 9 hours of mprime on BIOS 0702.

gorpo wrote:
What extra bump?

The F4-3200C14D-32GTZ passed memtest86 when I first got them, but I don't remember the parameters I tested with. With memory at 3200 DOCP settings and CPU (PE, CPB, PBO) and SOC settings on Auto, I had no errors in 24 hours of y-cruncher and 9 hours of mprime on BIOS 0702.

16GB modules are dual rank. Dual rank memory is faster due to bank interleaving.

srsbsns wrote:
16GB modules are dual rank. Dual rank memory is faster due to bank interleaving.

You can read here and on OCN that the fastest performance, frequency, timings, etc are achieved only on single rank. Dual rank and quad modules are harder on the IMC, which seems to be the weakest link.

gorpo wrote:
You can read here and on OCN that the fastest performance, frequency, timings, etc are achieved only on single rank. Dual rank and quad modules are harder on the IMC, which seems to be the weakest link.

No thats unfortunitly incorrect. While dual rank sticks as well as using 4 DIMMs are both harder on the IMC instead of 2x single rank, dual rank are faster. I know this from my server experience and here is AMDs own statement on it. Please scroll down for the the comparison.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/07/14/memory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-ti...

Thanks for confirming the dual rank sticks are error free! 😮