cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded Watercooling Loop to a Dual Radiator Setup, but temps are now hotter?

Zammin
Level 9
Hi everyone,
I hope I'm posting in the right place. I need some help regarding my most recent PC build.

Previously my watercooling setup consisted of a single EK SE 420x28mm radiator in the top of my Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case with 3 ML140 Pro fans, an EK XRES 140 D5 Revo Pump/Res combo, EK Supremacy RGB CPU block, Phanteks Glacier GPU Block and soft tubing. I was cooling my 8700k (with conductonaut liquid metal between the IHS and die) at 4.8Ghz 1.232V load voltage and my Strix GTX1080Ti in it's out of the box OC mode. Here is a picture of the old system:

For my new build I moved over the core components into the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic case, however I switched from my old ROG Maximus X Hero to a ROG Maximus X Code, extended the reservoir, used rigid tubing and this time I'm using 2 radiators; an EK XE 360x60mm in the top and an XSPC EX360 360x35mm in the back as an intake. Both radiators are fitted with ML120 Pro RGB fans. Here is a picture of the new system:

While I am very pleased with the build aesthetically, it seems for some reason my temperatures are HIGHER than before...

Previously, after applying liquid metal to the CPU, in AIDA64 FPU Stress Test after about 15mins the CPU temp would be leveled out at 41-42C with the cores in the low to mid 50s. In 3DMark Time Spy Stress Test the GPU would stay around 50C. Both tests on my old system were running the fans at 1500ish RPM and the water pump at full speed.

Now, in my new setup, in AIDA64 FPU Stress Test after 15mins the CPU temp is at 46C and still slowly rising. In 3DMark Time Spy Stress Test the GPU is hitting 55C and hovering around there. Both tests on the new system were running the fans at 1500-1600RPM and the water pump at full speed.

Here are the AIDA64 screenshots.

Old system:

New System:

To me this makes absolutely no sense? I should have much better cooling performance now that I have far more total radiator surface area and thickness. The only other thing I changed was that I used Kryonaut thermal paste this time instead of Hydronaut, but Kryonaut is supposed to be better. I know I applied it properly as well.

There are still some little bubbles in the CPU block and sometimes I can hear what sounds like maybe little bubbles moving around in the top radiator (EK XE 360), but can those things really make that much of a difference?

I really need some help figuring this out. I am so happy with how the build turned out aesthetically but it's really bringing me down that all that work is leading to higher temps.. 😞
15 REPLIES 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You don't mention ambient temps...without which, no one can reach any conclusion at all.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
You don't mention ambient temps...without which, no one can reach any conclusion at all.

Yeah sorry, I hadn't taken the room temperature during the tests but it would be pretty similar. I guess what I'm getting at is yes there is a couple degrees room for error when it comes to small ambient temp changes but I was expecting to see a decent reduction in temperature given that I'm going from 1 420x28mm radiator to 2x 360's (1x35mm and 1x60mm). I don't think a slight change in room temp is going to be that big of a deal here.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, you would have to work out the fin surface area available for cooling, which is not so easy...you can't just go on 2D surface area. You would have to work out core surface area. The SE 420 had a much higher FPI etc etc so things might not be as clear cut there to start with...

However ambient temps will have a much greater effect than you reckon on a loop. Adding in an extra rad will do nothing if you increase ambient 4 or 5 degrees...you would have to work out ambient inside each case and see if case airflow is similar for both etc etc.

Menthol
Level 14
I would guess it's the intake fans from the radiator, is there any place to draw intake air from if you change those to exhaust?

Beautiful build

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well, you would have to work out the fin surface area available for cooling, which is not so easy...you can't just go on 2D surface area. You would have to work out core surface area. The SE 420 had a much higher FPI etc etc so things might not be as clear cut there to start with...

However ambient temps will have a much greater effect than you reckon on a loop. Adding in an extra rad will do nothing if you increase ambient 4 or 5 degrees...you would have to work out ambient inside each case and see if case airflow is similar for both etc etc.

Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

Menthol wrote:
I would guess it's the intake fans from the radiator, is there any place to draw intake air from if you change those to exhaust?

Beautiful build

Thanks, I'm very happy with it aesthetically. It was my first time using rigid tubing.

Yeah I had a few people on other forums suggest that. Problem is, there is nowhere else to put fans. So the only other option for fan layout is to have them all as exhaust, which I would gladly try but it means I have to drain the loop and remove stuff just to get to the top intake fan... 😞

I should try measure the temperature inside the case while stress testing, and compare that to the water temp. I just ran AIDA64 for 45mins at 4.9Ghz/1.265V with the fans at 1600RPM and the water temps stayed around 25.5C, which wouldn't be that much higher than ambient, but like I said I haven't measured the room temperature..

Zammin
Level 9
Well, after having it suggested a large number of times across all the forums I posted in, last night I took the advice to set all the fans to exhaust. It involved staying up until 4AM to tear apart half the loop just to get to the fans and turn them around.. Before I did that I ran this test with no dust filters in the case at a room temperature of about 18.5C. During this test the water temperature reached 25.5C:

This morning I ran the test again with no dust filters and the fans all exhausting air at a room temperature of about 16.8C. During this test the water temperature reached 22.9C:

When taking into account the room temperature difference there is hardly any difference in the tests at all. This is incredibly frustrating after staying up until 4AM to make the change.. 😞

I really hope there's just some air in there that needs to come out, but I left the pump running all night and tilted the case every which way to try and get the air out. I can see there are a few air bubbles still in the CPU block but not really any different from before.

Maybe I need to run the test for longer or under combined loads to see any difference? I don't know.. I so wish I had room temperature measurements of the test I ran on my old system as Arne mentioned. I wonder if that's the difference here and I'm seeing no improvement during CPU only tests because I was already at the point of diminishing returns.

I'll try a few other stress tests and look for improvement throughout the day but man.. this sucks.. I'm so stressed out. 😞

The water temp difference does'nt mean much I don't think, though how much cooler is your cpu? . You lowered the water temp 1c if you calculate it all heh. Which is'nt bad.

You might want to try putting your side radiator blowing in and the top one blowing out, that would seem to be the best configuration I think.

I have two 240mm radiators up in the front of my case blowing intake air. I have a 4790k that does 4.8 on 1.261vcore ~60c~ delidded with conductonaut liquid metal, I can get it to 4.9 on 1.31vcore stays under 70c, I dont run synthetic tests on it though except x264 stability test and realbench.

Juggla wrote:
The water temp difference does'nt mean much I don't think, though how much cooler is your cpu? . You lowered the water temp 1c if you calculate it all heh. Which is'nt bad.

You might want to try putting your side radiator blowing in and the top one blowing out, that would seem to be the best configuration I think.

I have two 240mm radiators up in the front of my case blowing intake air. I have a 4790k that does 4.8 on 1.261vcore ~60c~ delidded with conductonaut liquid metal, I can get it to 4.9 on 1.31vcore stays under 70c, I dont run synthetic tests on it though except x264 stability test and realbench.

That was how I had it configured originally and the temps were a little higher that way. TBH after some discussion on another forum I'm starting to think that the difference between my temps today and the temps on my prior system probably comes down to being at the point of diminishing returns for the CPU and margin of error/room temperature differences. I haven't run any long sustained loads on either system which I really should have done in the first place rather than these attempted controlled 15 minute tests. I think GPU temps are actually looking a little better so I'll try running some games and maybe some more overclocking and see how I go. Either way the temps are still pretty good overall and I don't think I'm going to get any more results by playing with the fans having tried both layouts. The stress from staying up so late last night just to turn 3 fans around has been getting to me this morning.. Sorry if I sound frantic..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This may seem counter intuitive but if I were you I'd now reverse the flow on the top rad...i.e. make that intake. Forget the "heat rises" nonsense from people who never passed grade school physics 😉