ROG Junior Member Array

Advices about cleaning a 2-year-old G751JL

Hello,

So I have been using a rog G751JL and for the last few months I have been witnessing somehow bad performances ingame.
    It is only recently I noticed that it was probably due to overheating (ex: everything is fine but when the gpu goes beyond a certain temperature, windows will show 100% usage with bad performances as if it was restricted and everything goes fine again when the temperature drops) . So I'd like to open it to clean it but since it's a first for me and I'm not really into hardware (yet) what are the things to avoid at all costs during this operation?

Also, I found this video which I was going to follow until the fan removal : https://youtu.be/gr9sf01UOII
    Once the fans are removed and cleaned, can I blow canned air over the motherboard without taking it out in hope it cleans the heatsinks?

Also, a repair shop with great reviews on google maps offered me to clean it without opening it using an air compressor (no more details on the air compressor) but I though it was dangerous for the computer to blow air through the fans while connected and that it only clogged ghe sinks more. Is that a good idea?

Thank you

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Spheal View Post
    a repair shop with great reviews on google maps offered me to clean it without opening it using an air compressor (no more details on the air compressor) but I though it was dangerous for the computer to blow air through the fans while connected and that it only clogged ghe sinks more. Is that a good idea?
    Compressed air will move loose dust and debris. If there is hair/fur or tar from smoke you will have to open it to get it clean.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

That model also sucks in air from any opening it can so make sure the USB & all other openings are cleaned. Including the keyboard. Its not to bad opening those up just for cleaning fans & such. Just keep track of all your hardware, have a clean work area & work SLOWLY. Ribbon cables are easily damaged but also have a very simple "quick connector" latch type of release.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

take note that when you return & close the back panel, the one with the speakers, that no cable is found between the panel and the laptop, so that you won't screw the cable and damage it.
    it happen to me and I had to soldier a new cable with plug.