cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advices about cleaning a 2-year-old G751JL

Red_Spheal
Level 7
Hello,

So I have been using a rog G751JL and for the last few months I have been witnessing somehow bad performances ingame.
It is only recently I noticed that it was probably due to overheating (ex: everything is fine but when the gpu goes beyond a certain temperature, windows will show 100% usage with bad performances as if it was restricted and everything goes fine again when the temperature drops) . So I'd like to open it to clean it but since it's a first for me and I'm not really into hardware (yet) what are the things to avoid at all costs during this operation?

Also, I found this video which I was going to follow until the fan removal : https://youtu.be/gr9sf01UOII
Once the fans are removed and cleaned, can I blow canned air over the motherboard without taking it out in hope it cleans the heatsinks?

Also, a repair shop with great reviews on google maps offered me to clean it without opening it using an air compressor (no more details on the air compressor) but I though it was dangerous for the computer to blow air through the fans while connected and that it only clogged ghe sinks more. Is that a good idea?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Red_Spheal wrote:
a repair shop with great reviews on google maps offered me to clean it without opening it using an air compressor (no more details on the air compressor) but I though it was dangerous for the computer to blow air through the fans while connected and that it only clogged ghe sinks more. Is that a good idea?

Compressed air will move loose dust and debris. If there is hair/fur or tar from smoke you will have to open it to get it clean.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
That model also sucks in air from any opening it can so make sure the USB & all other openings are cleaned. Including the keyboard. Its not to bad opening those up just for cleaning fans & such. Just keep track of all your hardware, have a clean work area & work SLOWLY. Ribbon cables are easily damaged but also have a very simple "quick connector" latch type of release.

Gps3dx
Level 12
take note that when you return & close the back panel, the one with the speakers, that no cable is found between the panel and the laptop, so that you won't screw the cable and damage it.
it happen to me and I had to soldier a new cable with plug.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]