cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC High Temp / Fan Noise

GuiltyByDesign
Level 7
Hey All

Forgive me if this is the wrong section or if this is an issue already brought up and resolved, I haven't been a PC/laptop gamer for best part of a decade since switching to console, I have now bought the ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC RX580 Gaming Laptop, my only issue is when I play a game (Black Desert online for example) my temperature skyrockets up to 85 ish, I'm not sure why, this also causes my fan to kick in and it gets quite loud.

I've noticed as soon as I exit the game the fan quietens down and the temperature immediately drops down to normal.

I know at the moment we are experiencing very high temperatures here in the UK so I imagine this does add to the heating up as I don't have air conditioning in the house because why would we need it normally here lol. best I got is a standing fan blowing onto the laptop / room to try and keep it cool.

Anyway, I'm out of touch with all this stuff now so pretty much a noob again, any help or advise would be appreciated, take note I'm not very savy when it comes to modifying or opening up the laptop.

thanks
7 REPLIES 7

GuiltyByDesign
Level 7
Admin you can delete/close this thread if required, have done research and been in-touch with Asus and resolved it myself.

matau
Level 9
What was the reason?

davemon50
Level 11
Please share your solution with all.
Davemon50

Can you share the solution please, I am having the same issue. TIA!

MathiasMagnus
Level 7
I have the same problem. My GL702ZC broke and had to RMA it (the fans ran up to 6000RPM plus right after BIOS and stayed that way, no matter what). When I got the machine back, one of the speakers was crackling (the housing of the speaker was almost touching the chassis, and the screws of one speaker was totally smeared by the screwdriver), the BIOS battery was not glued properly to the motherboard and was moving inside… long story short, the company doing RMA in Hungary sucks (they always have) and did an awful job in assembling the notebook after replacing the motherboard.

With this fixed laptop now, I gave the new 18.6.2 driver a spin, cause it featured new Vermintide 2 profiles targeting RX 580. All following info obtained by the Overlay feature. Framerates are nice (55+-5 FPS on almost highest settings), which is still in the FreeSync range of the monitor. However, temperatures are high. 81°C constantly, and in effect rich scenes it does throttle after reaching 85°C (drops core clocks from 1077 MHz to 1015 MHz), when reaching 87°C it drops to 977 MHz. A notebook of this size should not throttle under non-synthetic workloads. If it does under FurMark, that's also worrisome, but can still go under the radar. However, production game titles should not turn a notebook into a stove. Vermintide 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider (MS Store version) both throttle.

Sorry didn't realise there were replies. I spoke to Asus direct that confirmed temps up to 85 were manageable for the laptop and nothing to be concerned about, but in addition to this I did buy a cooling pad to help anyway as I don't want those high temp from my understanding they will only degrade the components faster.

MathiasMagnus
Level 7
I'm sorry, but this is BS. 85 is not normal, especially that the GPU throttles at 85C. The solution being laptop cooler is concerning to say the least.