cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any video tutorials or advice when reapplying thermal paste? Temperature issues.

SkyofRivia
Level 7
Hi guys, I want to reapply thermal paste as I have been running into some temperature issues. I did undervolt but did not help as much as I thought it would. I do not want to damage my computer in anyway so any video tutorial links or advice would be helpful. I did open it up but I saw some frightening sparks caused by some goop from the heatsink, likely glue. I have an Asus ROG GL502VM.
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
There are so many videos on Youtube for applying thermal paste I wouldn't know where to begin. My suggestion is do a Youtube search, and then view several before making any decision on moving forward.
Davemon50

Snakeyes
Level 11
"Frightening sparks"?
When, where and how?
Keep in mind application method can change with different materials. Make sure you check the YouTube's (as suggested) for the appropriate brand.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

kkn
Level 14
just a lill dott ( rice size ) on the middle of the CPU, take off the plastic cover on the CPU cooler ( if its stil on ( yeah ppl have done this before ) ) and place cooler back on and clamp it down.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
There are a few different approaches, I tend to coat a thin layer across the heat spreader with the applicator provided with brands like Thermal Grizzly.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090