cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS update - settings backup is not compatible - how to solve it?

sbehring
Level 8
On my Asus Maximus X Hero I always make a BIOS settings backup to USB flash disk (*.CMO and *.TXT file) before BIOS update. I am using the built-in BIOS feature. Unfortunately after every BIOS update I need to setup everyting again, because the saved settings can´t be imported due to incompatibility with new BIOS. Is there any solution how to solve this? Do I really need to setup everything from the scratch after every BIOS update?
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Short answer is... yes you do.

The BIOS backup is meant for overclockers who are transferring or backing up settings between/on boards with the same BIOS.

Each BIOS should really be taken as a clean sheet for settings. Yes, most of us transfer known good settings but really we should be tweaking and trying new stuff on each BIOS. I mean, the hope is the new BIOS brings improvements right? So in a sense you can see it makes no sense to just transfer settings to a new BIOS.

theWanderer521
Level 7
sbehring wrote:
On my Asus Maximus X Hero I always make a BIOS settings backup to USB flash disk (*.CMO and *.TXT file) before BIOS update. I am using the built-in BIOS feature. Unfortunately after every BIOS update I need to setup everyting again, because the saved settings can´t be imported due to incompatibility with new BIOS. Is there any solution how to solve this? Do I really need to setup everything from the scratch after every BIOS update?

Hi, I don't know if this would help. Are you talking about this feature? (kindly check the link)

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036773

You can save your BIOS settings on your profile. After updating the BIOS, the new BIOS can still read the user profile of the previous BIOS

theWanderer521 wrote:
After updating the BIOS, the new BIOS can still read the user profile of the previous BIOS
Good news!
That´s a new feature, a new possibility witch makes updating BIOS much more comfortable than it used to be previosly. 😮

sbehring
Level 8
theWanderer521: Yes, this is the feature (user profiles), but not working. User profiles saved in older BIOS versions can´t be used in newer BIOS versions due to incompatibility. I can understand what Arne Saknussemm wrote and he is right - every BIOS should be individually fine tuned, but the previous fine tuned settings could be a good starting point for new fine tuning 🙂

sbehring wrote:
theWanderer521: Yes, this is the feature (user profiles), but not working. User profiles saved in older BIOS versions can´t be used in newer BIOS versions due to incompatibility. I can understand what Arne Saknussemm wrote and he is right - every BIOS should be fine tuned, but the previous fine tuned settings could be a good starting point for new fine tuning 🙂

That's odd, that feature should be working just what they advertised. I haven't tried saving profiles myself - I do hope there's a workaround on this issue or ASUS rolls in a fix or way to troubleshoot this one.