cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All USB's On Same Host Controller? Overloading w/ 2 Webcams + Audio Interface

Threat
Level 7
I'm having an issue using two webcams and an audio interface with the USB ports given on this motherboard. I figured the 2.0 slots would be separate from the 3.0 controller, but looks like they are on the same host controller and none have their own dedicated/independent channel. You can see they are all attached to the" USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller". Obviously I'm getting an overload having 2 webcams running at once with an audio interface. Having a lot of issues with the audio interface as well, which is a Scarlett 2i2 and is indeed in the recommended 2.0 port, but that's still being run on the 3.0 controller which is making it glitch out and giving me Blue Screens. I've tried using one cam plugged in the back, one in the front, 2.0, 3.0, nothing makes a difference.

I've been looking at USB hubs, with and without dedicated power, as well as a USB 2.0 PCIe card, but not sure which would be easiest and best. I would expect a USB hub could work, but wouldn't that still be considered on the same controller since it's being stuck into one of those USB slots anyway? How could that possibly help? Or does a powered one supply the help I need? Or do I need to get the PCIe?

Any help is appreciated, this motherboard has been a real hassle. Why would 10+ USB posts be on the same host? How is that not a separate controller? Is there a way to set it up that way that I'm missing?

6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
I didnt see where you tried one at a time.
I would check the current draw specs on the everything connected to the same controller and compare. Could be that the devices are pulling the 5V USB down causing a disconnect and dump of everything.

First line of defense when heavily loading USB channels.........powered hub. They are inexpensive and take 100% of the power burden off your controller and make it data only. Pllenty available, Im using two, one inside the case hidden in the back and one on my desktop witin easy reach for all the desktop gear and ease of connecting external media.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I didnt see where you tried one at a time.
I would check the current draw specs on the everything connected to the same controller and compare. Could be that the devices are pulling the 5V USB down causing a disconnect and dump of everything.

First line of defense when heavily loading USB channels.........powered hub. They are inexpensive and take 100% of the power burden off your controller and make it data only. Pllenty available, Im using two, one inside the case hidden in the back and one on my desktop witin easy reach for all the desktop gear and ease of connecting external media.

With a powered hub and being "data only", wont they still be sharing the same controller though since they're essentially going into the same port? They'll get enough power, but will the data be big enough for 2 1080p webcams and an audio interface? I'll try and track one down today and see.

I just plugged in my playstation controller in one of the USB 2.0 slots on the front (one of the webcams is in the other), and it still shows up under the same 3.0 controller. Every single USB port is on a single controller. That just doesn't seem right to me. The front panel is plugged into one of the usb 2.0 slots on the bottom of the MB (USB910), the other 2.0 connector next to it on the bottom of the MB (USB1112) is plugged into by the cooler i have installed inside the case. There's no other spot they can go anyway. So how does that make any sense they are on the same controller, and on the one named 3.0 at that?

JustinThyme wrote:
First line of defense when heavily loading USB channels.........powered hub.

Well, I got a 7 port powered usb and ONLY put the audio interface in it and once again it sounds sped up and choppy when 2 webcams are running. Checking the device manager it's still part of the same hub, nothing independent. I also tried putting one of the webcams in it two, so both of those are getting power, same results. What next?

chevell65 wrote:
Everything I've read says for multiple cameras you should be using IP based cameras. Trying to make multiple USB cameras work is typically referred to as a brick wall.

Several people do it, many streamers do art that way. A lot of them also have two Logitech C920's, and there are a bunch of videos that show people doing so. It's not unheard of, it's common. Just doesn't want to work on this motherboard because the 2.0 ports are powered by a 3.0 hub and some audio interfaces glitch with that. Guess I need to invest in a new interface now 😕

Ok, I tried plugging the newly purchased Powered USB 2.0 Hub into one of the independent 3.1 ports and it seems to be stable at the moment while running two webcams. See in the image below how it's a separate controller. Why are all the other USB connections on the same hub? That's 10 ports (4 front, 6 back) on the same hub, of course it's most likely going to be saturated. There's no way to separate them? At least front from back and 2.0 from 3.0 like they should be? That's just ridiculous. Only the two 3.1's are separate.

chevell65
Level 12
Everything I've read says for multiple cameras you should be using IP based cameras. Trying to make multiple USB cameras work is typically referred to as a brick wall.