cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M8 Hero Alpha BIOS update wreaking havoc!

MelodicApex8
Level 7
Bought the ROG front panel and reviewed the bios as it has been some time. The EUFI search prompted to update to 3101 but after research i found there were many more on the ASUS forums with no issues and 'everyone' says to update to the latest (i know not good for bios) which was 3801 released in April - i couldn't find anything on the 3801 update AND the 3101 is still marked as 'Beta Version'. I thought it would be fine...

I installed front panel AND flashed bios from ASUS site via USB, re-managed some cable (and rechecked connections), and booted up fine i even installed a new drive to wipe, formatted it, no issues - but one RAM stick was not lit. I removed the front panel and had the same issue - no qcodes yet. I switched sticks and the other stick was fine, booted right up and lit. But after pulling them in and out several times trying A1 & B1 and other combinations - no ram stick works at all now. System will not boot and just keeps repeating a long tone and code B4 pointing to RAM and sometimes getting 53.

Would i be able to do a bios flashback? if so, i saw the name of the file needed to be changed but to what for this mobo? Are they any other options at this point other than dropping money into extra RAM i wont need? I found some on facebook LOL but who knows if they even work!! Any help would be appreciated.

I built the system and GPUs went up and never started to put to use, just Minecraft for the kids at the moment, and the system is fast and perfect - but i am not relying on it. Specs below:

Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
i5-6500
Avexir 2-4gb 2-ch 2666 (Approved)
EVGA 500w 80+White
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
4 REPLIES 4

chevell65
Level 12
Have you tried clearing the cmos after the bios flash?

This sometimes helps to fix problems after flashing bios.

chevell65 wrote:
Have you tried clearing the cmos after the bios flash?

This sometimes helps to fix problems after flashing bios.

No I have not. know of CMOS while computer boots up or sometimes before updating bios - are you suggesting holding it down while I hit the power button? Or during the post code and beeping?*

I wanted to add I did try to adjust XMP settings before moving sticks but it was already disabled.*

I tried. Let it attempt to boot, clicked CMOS and it cycles of and back on. Still getting code 53

I have tried to install the ‘Beta Version’ with via Bios flashback with the correct M8HA.cap file - I’m not sure what to do with the keybot feature as it just starts beeping after I power it on. I cleared the CMOS after the flashback, still not working. I will try one more time going back to a later version of bios. My only option now is try another stick of RAM. Not sure how I bricked the ram as one was fine until I started swapping to get it to boot up.*

Can anyone describe the keybot feature when doing a flashback?*