cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8086K + 8700K Overclokcing Guide with ASUS Maximus X

The_Sentinel
Level 8
Hi guys and girls,

I put this video together after receiving hundreds of requests through my YouTube channel for Overclocking settings for the 8700K and 8086K.

Personally I'm against quick and dirty "here use these settings" videos because they don't teach the principles, so I plan on making some much more detailed videos over the coming weeks, but in this video I tried to strike a balance for the people that just want something that will work out of the box whilst also teaching some basic fundementals.

In this video I go through the settings I'm running for my 5.2GHz overclock, as well as my recommended settings for initial setup of your processor. The video also explains what all the various settings mean at a overview level, as well as some discussion around safe VCORE settings and how CPUs become damaged.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Intel i7 - 3960X @ 5GHz -1.50V | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz (4x4GB) | Dual EVGA 3GB GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2/SLi @ 950MHz Core - 1.15V | Koolance custom liquid cooling system - Single Loop - Twin Rad - CPU + GPUs | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD | 1.5KW Silverstone Strider PSU | Aerocool Touch-2000 Fan controller |
21 REPLIES 21

Zammin
Level 9
Thanks for the video Will. I have watched your videos before and they helped me with delidding my CPU and bending petg tubing.

Regarding the CPU Current Capability setting, did you find better stability at 140% when compared to auto? I've never messed with that setting before but I'm definitely interested now.

Zammin wrote:
Thanks for the video Will. I have watched your videos before and they helped me with delidding my CPU and bending petg tubing.

Regarding the CPU Current Capability setting, did you find better stability at 140% when compared to auto? I've never messed with that setting before but I'm definitely interested now.

You're welcome mate. Glad you're enjoying the videos. Theoretically having this value set to Auto, the Motherboard will adjust the current limit relative to the overclock percentage. I jsut like having manual control. It's not likely to increase stability but it could in some cases stop your CPU from throttling. 🙂
Corsair Obsidian 800D | Intel i7 - 3960X @ 5GHz -1.50V | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz (4x4GB) | Dual EVGA 3GB GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2/SLi @ 950MHz Core - 1.15V | Koolance custom liquid cooling system - Single Loop - Twin Rad - CPU + GPUs | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD | 1.5KW Silverstone Strider PSU | Aerocool Touch-2000 Fan controller |

Snakeyes
Level 11
Nice job! Looking forward to the next video with more in-depth explanations for bios adjustments.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Pervy_Jutsu
Level 7
Just want to say thank you for this overclocking guide! Really helpful for overclock noobs like myself.. I liked how you explained the reasoning behind particular settings.

I tried the De8auer video a while back and was never able to find settings that were completely stable for me. I would get settings that seemed stable in Prime95 and other testing programs but I would still get ocassional BSOD's when gaming and at very random times.

Following this video instead, I pretty much found rock solid stable settings right away (just had to adjust SA and VCCIO values tuned just right for my memory overclock). I found that my CPU isn't the greatest overclocker and to get any higher than 4.8ghz, I have to pump additional voltage into it and not really comfortable doing that since my CPU is not delidded and temperatures get too high in testing programs.

In the end I am pretty satisfied with the settings I ended up with 4.8ghz 8700k @ 1.30V with 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-4133 RAM at 1.40V. Not getting any errors in testing programs and have been rock solid for a week.

Thanks again for the video!

Pervy Jutsu wrote:
Just want to say thank you for this overclocking guide! Really helpful for overclock noobs like myself.. I liked how you explained the reasoning behind particular settings.

I tried the De8auer video a while back and was never able to find settings that were completely stable for me. I would get settings that seemed stable in Prime95 and other testing programs but I would still get ocassional BSOD's when gaming and at very random times.

Following this video instead, I pretty much found rock solid stable settings right away (just had to adjust SA and VCCIO values tuned just right for my memory overclock). I found that my CPU isn't the greatest overclocker and to get any higher than 4.8ghz, I have to pump additional voltage into it and not really comfortable doing that since my CPU is not delidded and temperatures get too high in testing programs.

In the end I am pretty satisfied with the settings I ended up with 4.8ghz 8700k @ 1.30V with 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-4133 RAM at 1.40V. Not getting any errors in testing programs and have been rock solid for a week.

Thanks again for the video!

You're welcome mate. I'm glad it helped and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. it helps me make better videos 🙂

Great video, most helpfull explanations. Been a while since bios tinkered so this was a godsend coming from an lga1366 set up.. Thanks. :cool:

mrvortep
Level 8
Many thanks for this video!

mrvortep
Level 8
Hey Will - just wondering if you still planned on doing the follow-up video on more detailed bios adjustments? It'd be great but of course I understand if you've moved on...:)

toomanymods
Level 7
thanks for this write-up! I tried all the same settings you used and its working without a hiccup. I have a Intel i7 8086K @5.2ghz, Asus ROG Maximus Hero X mobo, GSkill 3200mhz ddr4 @ 3400 cas14 8gb X4, corsair H110i 280mm watercooling kit, and windows 10 64 bit. The temps actually went down like 15C after doing your settings for o/C vs. just using the generic 5k o/c profile in the asus software. I haven't even de-lidded my CPU yet,lol Do you think I should? The temps wont even go over 152F under full load.