cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AVX negative offset still bugged on Z370?

Zammin
Level 9
Hi everyone

I have just finished dialing in a 5Ghz overclock on my Maximus X Code and 8700k with an AVX offset of -1.

I've just noticed that for some reason my AVX offset is coming on and off during games. When I run Prime95 26.6 the clock speed stays at 5Ghz, when I run Cinebench it stays at 5Ghz, but I've just started playing Overwatch and I can see it jumping between 4.9Ghz and 5Ghz constantly. This still occurs even when i set my power plan to High Performance in Windows 10. I remember this happening earlier in the year on my Maximus X Hero and reading that is was bugged at the time. As far as I know most games shouldn't be using AVX..

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am on the latest BIOS for the MX Code. To see BIOS screenshots of my settings check out my other thread here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103546-Looking-for-some-help-understanding-LLC-and-advice-...)

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Zammin wrote:
Hi everyone

I have just finished dialing in a 5Ghz overclock on my Maximus X Code and 8700k with an AVX offset of -1.

I've just noticed that for some reason my AVX offset is coming on and off during games. When I run Prime95 26.6 the clock speed stays at 5Ghz, when I run Cinebench it stays at 5Ghz, but I've just started playing Overwatch and I can see it jumping between 4.9Ghz and 5Ghz constantly. This still occurs even when i set my power plan to High Performance in Windows 10. I remember this happening earlier in the year on my Maximus X Hero and reading that is was bugged at the time. As far as I know most games shouldn't be using AVX..

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am on the latest BIOS for the MX Code. To see BIOS screenshots of my settings check out my other thread here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103546-Looking-for-some-help-understanding-LLC-and-advice-...)

Thanks!

I'd be first asking Blizzard if anything in Overwatch makes use of the instruction set, because a lot of games these days actually do.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
I'd be first asking Blizzard if anything in Overwatch makes use of the instruction set, because a lot of games these days actually do.

Oh for real?? Man I had no idea. The behavior of it is strange in the way it consistently switches between the two frequencies every second. I’ll try some other games and see if the same thing happens.

There are quite a few threads online where this was mentioned as being a bug and that it does not occur on other architectures like skylake x. Thats what led me to believe this. But you could be right.

Zammin
Level 9
Well I've just tested CS:GO and Fortnite and the exact same thing is occurring. CS:GO seemed to trigger it less while Fortnite seems to trigger it more frequently. Would an old DX9 game like CS:GO really use AVX? I'm stumped.

Zammin wrote:
Well I've just tested CS:GO and Fortnite and the exact same thing is occurring. CS:GO seemed to trigger it less while Fortnite seems to trigger it more frequently. Would an old DX9 game like CS:GO really use AVX? I'm stumped.

Almost all games uses avx loads on some parts of the game, event World of Warcraft and older games so that is why it is jumping so frequent back and forth.

Raja
Level 13
When we spoke to Intel about some of the AVX quirks, and there was one reply that stated a lot more applications use the code than people realize. Apparently, some Net Framework apps/utilities do, too. If apps like that are on the system, you may see the AVX ratio being enforced more frequently than expected.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
When we spoke to Intel about some of the AVX quirks, and there was one reply that stated a lot more applications use the code than people realize. Apparently, some Net Framework apps/utilities do, too. If apps like that are on the system, you may see the AVX ratio being enforced more frequently than expected.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for chiming in Raja. If that's the case it would certainly explain it. I'll try to dial in an overclock without AVX offset then, since it seems to be kicking in and out all the time. It would be great if I could set a minimum CPU load for the AVX offset to kick in, that way it wouldn't come on in games and other light CPU load tasks but still help with stability during heavy AVX loads.*

Raja
Level 13
I've pitched some stuff to Intel about AVX offset, but it takes up to five years for features like this to be changed. It's a long process. They are aware of some of the limitations.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I've pitched some stuff to Intel about AVX offset, but it takes up to five years for features like this to be changed. It's a long process. They are aware of some of the limitations.

That's good to know. Hopefully we will see some improvements in the future. Tonight I was able to dial in a 5Ghz OC without AVX offset so that takes care of my issue for now. 🙂