cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 + Cooling Pad: Effect?

Mr__Matt_Eastwo
Level 7
Hey guys! I bought a Cooler Master cooling pad for my G751JY. I didn't have any heat problems to begin with, but I thought I'd grab it when I saw it on sale the other day, never hurts to cool down a few extra degrees.

I started using it yesterday, and I don't quite think I see any effect on my CPU temps.

If you're using a cooling pad with your G751 laptop, what are your experiences? Does it offer any benefit? To my knowledge, the G751's air intake isn't at the bottom anyway, but I thought it might provide some cool-down anyway.

Also, my temps are usually between 55 and 60 degrees while doing my daily work, having one Windows 10 VM (VirtualBox), Thunderbird, Opera, GIMP, file manager, Skype and a handful of other programs open at the same time on Linux Mint. Where do your CPU temps usually hover when you're not gaming?
5 REPLIES 5

Darnassus
Status Under Review
As I look at the G751's underside, I don't see much holes for air flow. Perhaps you need a cooler that forces in air in that one spot.

The G752 however has a removable back (Which I assume isn't supposed to be removed, but I do it anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSuiEEjU-E <-- Funny there's actually someone here who did it on YouTube, that makes it easy to explain, woohoo.

Doing this plus using Zalman's most highly coveted NC series cooler reduces my temperatures 8-10*C from 84 to 74-76.

The NC Series uses an aluminium plate, which is always cold to begin with, it also has a big surface area, so not only does it provide air to the whole intake, but it also catches and traps all the dust and crap it sucks up, keeping it out of my gorgeous lappy. ;x

Because your intake's smack bang right in the middle, it looks like the pad you bought is the best for the job.

Best way to tell if it's doing a difference is grab this, https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Download, install it, run it, play a game for 30 mins, or however long.. note your highest temperature. Turn off the game, reset the temp records, then fire up the game again for another 30 mins. (Don't move around, just stay in the same place to keep your test consistent.)

I think with a model like yours, you'll see maybe 5*C drop max.

Jon_G
Level 10
Hi Mr. Matt Eastwood,
I've always had my G751JY sitting on my CM Storm SF-19 up to 19" notebook cooler and my CPU & GPU temps never get high even when gaming for hours w/ the coolers fans turned off or at max 1600 RPM Fan speed. The original ASUS Product page for the ASUS ROG G751JY shows that the air intakes are located on the bottom where the vents are according to the notebooks cooling diagram. Don't know how efficient they are for air intakes, always thought ASUS could have designed them better on our model.
I also swapped out the notebook coolers 2 stock 140mm x 25mm 97.23 CFM non LED fans w/ 2 Prolimatech Aluminum Vortex 140mm 127 CFM LED Fans cranked up most of the time when gaming & I believe it's helped lower my temps but not drastically. Like yours my G751JY never gets hot anyway but I like to think it's helped somewhat over the years or else I wasted money on the cooler and the 2 LED High CFM Fans, lol. When not gaming my temps are at 45-50 w/ notebook cooler fans on max.
I also position the notebook on the massive 19" notebook cooler so that the G751JY's vents are directly over both 140mm Fans.

Mr__Matt_Eastwo
Level 7
Hey guys, thanks for the insights and perspective! Yeah, good call with the A/B testing when gaming. I will find some time soon to to just that! When I have some results, I'll be happy to report back here.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Also, usually when I get a new laptop myself.. the moment I get it I crack it open and replace the paste, since stock's always crap in my experiences. Mostly because the Unit's been sitting in a box for an unknown amount of time, usually a year or so in a warehouse.

Mr__Matt_Eastwo
Level 7
Hey guys, so I did an A/B test: The Witcher 3 15 mins each with and without the cooling pad.

In both cases, the CPU went up to 93° max, and the graphics card maxed out at 82°. I don't think it makes any difference.

I'll try undervolting the CPU a bit and once I get my desktop PC back from the computer store (having some extra case fans installed for my new GTX 1080 Ti), I'll drop this one off for a heat paste replacement.