cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VMK bios confusion

dasBOT
Level 7
Hello
asus download page is very confusing. Under 'drivers and tools' shows bios 303 however under 'bios and firmware' the bios version is 306. is the 303 or 306 current bios for 7th gen gl702vmk
9 REPLIES 9

StarJack
Level 11
dasBOT wrote:
Hello
asus download page is very confusing. Under 'drivers and tools' shows bios 303 however under 'bios and firmware' the bios version is 306. is the 303 or 306 current bios for 7th gen gl702vmk

The GL702VM bios is at 306.

The GL702VMK is at 303.

I'd love to see a BIOS update for the VMK that could improve temperatures but that's probably a pipe dream.

StarJack

dasBOT
Level 7
Thank you StarJack

I just wonder how is it even possible that older model have newer BIOS
Asus again proving that is one of the most useless aftersale companies

dasBOT wrote:
Thank you StarJack

I just wonder how is it even possible that older model have newer BIOS
Asus again proving that is one of the most useless aftersale companies

Version 302 or whatever, could be a newer one for all they care, since it's a different model you can't compare both. It's just a number not release date.
Same goes for my GL502VSK, which is running bios version 303. The VS (non K) model has a bios version 302, released on the exact same day as mine.
Different models, different version numbers.

dasBOT
Level 7
funny thing I just received an email from asus support and they claim that the newest version for gl702vmk is in fact 306, they will work with web team to fix download page.
they olso adviced to update bios from the bios not with eady flash.

now i'm even more confused then i was yesterday

update:

have been on the chat with a technician and he said exactly the same, v306 is the newest version and it is safe to install it, he suggested to install it from the bios not windows

dasBOT wrote:
funny thing I just received an email from asus support and they claim that the newest version for gl702vmk is in fact 306, they will work with web team to fix download page.
they olso adviced to update bios from the bios not with eady flash.

now i'm even more confused then i was yesterday

update:

have been on the chat with a technician and he said exactly the same, v306 is the newest version and it is safe to install it, he suggested to install it from the bios not windows

Thanks for the info, although I think I'll stick with 303 until someone convinces me that there are actual benefits going to 306 on the GL702VMK. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it right now.

StarJack

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
dasBOT wrote:

Hi,

There are really 2 versions of the GL702VM using different CPUs and bios files.
Unfortunately, it sounds like people are mixing them up.

• The GL702VM with 6th gen. Skylake cpu is using the 'GL702VM' model bios files
  • The GL702VM (7th gen. Kaby Lake cpu) is using the 'GL702VMK' model bios files and internally at ASUS is known as the GL702VMK although we advertise it to customers as the GL702VM (7th Gen. cpu) model

These pages might not be available in all regions and you may want to change the region in the bottom left-hand corner to your local region, but if you know you have the GL702VM (7th gen. cpu) model, you can just select that model from the global ASUS download page below which has the latest bios 303.
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL702VM-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/HelpDesk_Download/

There is also a 'GL702VM' download page which asks you to select your CPU or model type and has a small question mark you can click on as in the screenshot at the bottom of this post to see the FAQ below about finding out which CPU or model you have, so you want to check this carefully to avoid picking the wrong model.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1030673

Finally, if you mouse over the bios download link, you should be able to see the download path and bios file name like GL702VMKAS0303.zip for the GL702VM (7th gen. cpu) models which is different from the normal GL702VM with 6th gen. cpu which uses the GL702VMAS0306.zip bios file, so even if try to flash the wrong bios file, the flash program should give you a warning after you load the wrong bios and prevent you from flashing the wrong model bios.

Hope this makes a little more sense now. Thanks.

please explain this...

cl-Albert
I'm not able to get to that page that you found if it matters, but if you put your cursor on the download link, it should show the download path and filename as below to check if that bios file is really for the GL702VM or GL702VMK.
You could also just download the bios and load it with the bios flash utility (without flashing, but the bios flash program should prevent you from flashing the bios once it notices the models don't match) to check the model as well if you prefer.

Below is the page I found for the GL702VMK with the bios download path and filename.
Unfortunately, the screenshot below doesn't show the cursor location, but it's right on the GL702VMK 303 bios download link.
Thanks.

cl-Albert
I'm not able to get to that page that you found if it matters, but if you put your cursor on the download link, it should show the download path and filename as below to help you check if that bios file is really for the GL702VM or GL702VMK.
Unfortunately, the screenshot below doesn't show the cursor location, but it's right on the GL702VMK 303 bios download link.
Guessing that's the GL702VM 0306 bios under the GL702VMK download page by mistake though.

You could also just download the bios and load it with the bios flash utility (without flashing, but the bios flash program should prevent you from flashing the bios once it notices the models don't match) to check the model as well if you prefer.
Checking the bios filenames is an easier way.

Below is the page I found for the GL702VMK with the bios download path and filename.
Thanks.