cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split second freezes

NoConnection_
Level 7
Hey everyone, I have a major problem with my computer. I’m having split second freezes. Okay so let me explain what happened. So when I first got my computer it had Windows 7 on it, I’ve noticed that it had problems with the drivers, so I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. After that I’ve heard that Windows 10 Pro UEFI exists and that it makes your computer faster, so I went ahead and installed Windows 10 Pro UEFI as before I had Windows 10 Pro Legacy (I used rufus). Anyway fast forward my computer started having this split second freezes every like 2-3 seconds as before I had Windows 10 Pro Legacy everything was working fine. I started getting suspicious at my GPU because compared to the rest of my computer parts, it was pretty OLD!. So after I removed the GPU and booted my computer with the CPU’s built-in GPU I’ve noticed that the split second freezes were GONE!. So at that moment I was pretty convinced that it was my old GPU’s fault. Anyway so I bought a new GPU and replaced it. I’ve cleaned the previous GPU’s drivers with a program called Display Driver Uninstaller and installed the new ones with Geforce Experience. After doing all of that the split second freezes continued to exist.

I don’t know how to resolve this problem anymore and I really don’t want to format my computer so I can go back to Windows 10 Pro Legacy + I’ve noticed that it was a tiny bit slower, so any help will be very much appreciated!

Computer specs:
► OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit UEFI
► CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
► M.2: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
► HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
► Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E
► RAM: Kingston HyperX Predador DDR4 3000MHz 16GB (One Slot)
► Power Supply: Bequite 700Watt Straight Gold Plus

► OLD GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250 1GB
► NEW GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1060 6GB OC
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello NoCennection_

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I suspect...

1 stick of ram = single channel, you need two sticks for dual channel and I would advise to get a new kit vs adding another stick, adding another stick may work or it may give you trouble or not work at all.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello NoCennection_

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I suspect...

1 stick of ram = single channel, you need two sticks for dual channel and I would advise to get a new kit vs adding another stick, adding another stick may work or it may give you trouble or not work at all.

Okay so I think I figured it out. I've used the motherboard CD that comes with the motherboard in the box and installed all of the drivers from the CD. So I decided to not use it this time because that might have been the issue that the drivers were outdated, and so I was right. I've installed the drivers manually. I stopped getting the split second freezes and I was pretty happy about it. BUT when I updated my Windows to Windows 10 version 1803 the split second freezes came back with vengeance, and so I was forced to go to an older build. Is there a way to stop the freezing and have the latest windows version?

Nate152
When installing windows 10, I let windows install the necessary drivers and run windows update until fully updated to 1803, then install the Realtek audio driver and update the Nvidia driver. Go to the Nvidia site and download the driver., Device Manager should show no signs of missing drivers.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/135813/en-uk

Have you enabled XMP or set the ram manually? If you haven't already, try at default settings. If that doesn't help, leave at default settings when reinstalling windows.

It's possible one stick of ram isn't causing the freezing but I'd still get a kit of two sticks in there. I'm using two sticks of Kingston HyperX Predator with no issues so let's hope it's just instability or a windows problem.

Microsoft stopped the windows 10 free upgrade a little while ago, if you have the windows 10 license key, try the "Download tool now" instead of Rufus.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Before installing windows disconnect the HDD. In the bios on the Boot tab, I disable CSM and set Secure Boot to Other Os, then Boot Option 1 select the installation media with UEFI in front of it. F10 and Enter.

After windows installs, Boot option 1 should show "Windows Boot Manager" with your ssd, this means you've done a UEFI install, then connect your HDD.