cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING rear audio randomly starts emitting high pitch white noise

andre_ss6
Level 8
Hi,
I've just bought my new ASUS mobo with a Ryzen 7 2700x. Sometimes (it's seemingly random, I haven't managed to find a pattern) when I'm playing, it'll start emitting this high pitch white noise, like an old TV without signal. When this happens, I have to unplug and re-plug my headphones. The problem has happened with both my headphones and my speakers, so the problem is not with them (also, this has never happened with the old mobo).

Has anyone experienced this? Could this be a problem with the board? Or maybe it's a driver issue? I'm not sure if I should RMA it.

I'm using Windows 10 2018 April Update and Realtek drivers 6.0.1.8382 downloaded from ASUS website.

EDIT 1: Ok, I'm trying to investigate this further. I left the PC the whole night playing Spotify. The problem didn't arise. Today I then tried to listen to music while I was running some AIDA64 benchmarks - still nothing. I'm guessing then that the problem must occur either:

1) When I'm playing (maybe Ryzen's overclock goes too high on a single core (since games uses one core way more than others)? maybe something related to DirectX?)
2) When Discord is open, since all the times it occurred, Discord was open.

I'll try to investigate these two options further to see if I cand find anything.
4 REPLIES 4

celab
Level 7
try new drivers but unistall eveything else first, like sonic suite etc, than install the new driver.8480 also get all the latest update for your win version up to 17134.191. try to play around with you ohm settings in the driver menu and adjust it for your needs. also set your plify right.

good luck
Orwell was an optimist

Ok, so I haven't managed to find the fundamental issue, but I did manage to find a temporary solution at least. After weeks of investigation, I found that it is the Realtek drivers which cause this. Using the generic Windows 10 audio driver makes the problem go away. I have been using it for more than a week and the problem didn't show up not even once. With the official drivers, however, it would happen multiple times per day. I tried to use both the driver from the official Realtek website and the one from the official ASUS website, but both had the problem.

I didn't manage to find any pattern at all when the problem was occurring. Differently from what I thought initially, the problem shows up in any situation (not only when gaming).

Also, I've noticed that when I changed the microphone volume with the old drivers (official from ASUS), my friends would hear that same white noise on TeamSpeak. It is quite a deafening noise -- every time it happened I would almost have a heart attack (and they also described it the same way). It is way, way louder than any other sound that is playing and it's got a very high pitch.

Anyway, when I have some time I'll try to investigate a little more and see if I can discover something more.

celab wrote:
try new drivers but unistall eveything else first, like sonic suite etc, than install the new driver.8480 also get all the latest update for your win version up to 17134.191. try to play around with you ohm settings in the driver menu and adjust it for your needs. also set your plify right.

good luck

Thanks. I tried everything that you said, nothing worked. I did uninstall every other audio related software, including the (latest version) ASUS audio driver I had, and then installed the official, latest version, Realtek driver (not the ASUS bundle), but the problem persisted (and it was in one of those times that I found out that using the generic W10 driver made the problem go away). Windows is also up to date. I've also tried playing around with ohm settings, but it made no difference at all.

Does anyone know if the generic Windows Audio Driver ("High Definition Audio Device") uses the actual sound card hardware, or is it emulated via CPU? If it's emulated, then I'll know that it's a hardware issue and I'll RMA immediately. Otherwise, I might try a little more.