cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM Locking up and freezing.

Cause
Level 7
Hello all,

I just received my Asus ROG Strix GL502VM from a seller on amazon named BrightSpot. I'm not sure if he installed the SSD I have in my laptop or this is from the factory. The laptop had been running great for about a week until it froze up one night while playing Cities Skylines from steam. It was did seem slight hotter than normal just north of the keyboard below the screen. The computer rebooted itself, however upon trying to launch the game again the computer froze again. Now, whatever app I am in, weather it be Microsoft edge, Mail, the ROG Gaming Center, or even the settings window this thing is locking up. There have been 2 instances where it won't freeze at all for a long period of time, but upon rebooting the computer it will start freezing again. I have been through stress testing the CPU and GPU but I don't see anything wrong. A memory check came up fine as well.

Looking in the event log I see 3 separate entries, 2 of which happen every time the laptop freezes/reboots. First, is a Critical 'Kernel-Power' that reads: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Second is a Warning 'Kernel-PnP' that reads The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1.

The third event I only see once but I thought it might be worth mentioning. It is an Error 'Service Control Manager' that reads The ZeroConfigService service terminated with the following error: %%2147770990

Thanks in advance if you guys have any insight into this. I have been racking my brain for several days over this now. Let me know if you need anymore information. Oh! The specs are as follows.

GL502VM
Intel Quad Core i7 7700
16GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB VRAM
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
8 REPLIES 8

davemon50
Level 11
Overheating? Make sure you are on a flat tabletop with plenty of clear airspace. Also might be good to blow out any suspected dust.
Davemon50

Cause
Level 7
I'm not sure it's over heating. Like I said there have been a few instances where it runs with no issue for a while at a time. And there is no dust in the laptop at all, it's been out of the box for a week. I had it open today and saw no dust.

FastM
Level 8
download the tools specific to your SSD brand and run some tests..

If its giving you problems in the windows environment (not gaming) I don't think heat is an issue.

Cause
Level 7
I will do that. It gives me issues when trying to launch Cities Skylines and any game from steam for that matter. But 90% of the time I don’t even get far enough to launch a game. If I post the brand of SSD I have can you point me in the direction of the correct tools you would use?

Cause
Level 7
It seems like the SSD I have is a Walmeck Micron1100 series. Additionally, I forgot to mention however I don’t think this is the issue, the battery in my laptop seems to not hold a charge at all. It’s been like that since I took it out of the box. The laptop will only power on if it’s plugged in. It says the battery is charging, but stays at 0% and never goes up.

Edit: The P/N for the specific SSD I have is MTFDDAV256TBN-1AR1ZABYY

FastM
Level 8
Bottom of this page for ththe Micron toolbox

*https://www.micron.com/products/solid-state-storage/storage-executive-software

But the fact that your battery is not charging could mean something a lot more serious is wrong with the laptop. I would inform your seller ASAP of that problem since you may need a replacement..*

Cause
Level 7
Yeah sometimes it will say it's charging in the bottom right, sometimes it says it's not charging. But it always does recognize its plugged in, but it always stays at 0%. You think the battery could be the issue? What could the something be that's a lot more serious?

I'm not sure the seller would send me a new laptop, I have owned it for 4 months now, but due to being deployed I have only physically had it for a week. Would it be worth just buying a battery off amazon and replacing it myself? I would assume that's no guarantee the issue would be fixed.

Cause
Level 7
I feel like I've narrowed this down, it seems as though when I uninstall the Nvidia driver, the laptop does not freeze. However, upon reinstalling the driver (version 398.11) the computer will start the freezing issues again. Is there any inherent problems with these Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060's after getting hot once?