cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The computer suddenly shuts down

bas13bou
Level 7
Hello my friends I am from greece and i have the pc my systems parts is i7-5930k Asus rampage v extreme Asus gtx 980 matrix sli corsair vengeance 16 gb m2 Kingston predator 240 gb wd 1tb corsair h110i gtx corsair ax1200i. For a long time my system shut down. I sent my system to e-shop.gr for check and I was told the problem in the motherboard. The warranty has expired and can not be repaired or replaced from the company. I want to advise and what to do. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

davemon50
Level 11
If it shuts down for no reason, I would suspect power problems or overheating problems first.

Monitor your CPU temperature constantly on a second monitor while you use your computer and look for suspicious increases in temperature, especially sudden ones. This would indicate cooling issues. Thermal paste could be a problem if worn or improperly applied. Cooling system malfunctioning or poorly performing could also be the issue there. Or dust, improper airflow in your case, a number of things to cause overheating.

Power supply could be going bad. Swap it out for a while and see what happens. Make sure you are not underpowering the board either. You can also monitor your power consumption of the system on your second monitor constantly too, which I have been doing lately since I had some really high power consumption by one of my games that was making my system unstable until I got it under control.
Davemon50

bas13bou
Level 7
I check all this maybe motherboard is dead.

clio16v
Level 7
The truth is that due to the hot weather here in Greece temps are going way up. I have the same motherboard with i7 5820k and same psu. If i overclock too much my system under stress test is shutting down. But at lower oc or stock settings don't have a problem. Is your system overclocked or not? If yes try to use it at stock settings to see if the problem still exist.

jorgerod
Level 7
I had a similar problem when I changed the cpu from a 5930K to a 6950X.
Sometimes the pc just shut down, watching a movie, using youtube, playing games. Temperatures were all okay. I took the overclock from the cpu, the memories, the graphics card, but still the same. To turn on the pc, i had to unplug the power cord and wait about 10s. I thought it would be a cpu fail (bought used from ebay). I discovered that it was the Asus Fan Expert 3 software that caused the problem. After uninstall it i never had the problem again. Sometimes we must first look to the software, before the hardware.

Best Luck!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Clarify Shut down. Does it exit the OS like you are shutting it down or does it just drop to zero instanty?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

bas13bou
Level 7
Installation all parts again and remove the cable of fans in motherboard and pc work now.

bas13bou
Level 7
Work one hour and after close

GoatHumper
Level 7
This may be a defect that was fixed in a BIOS version (as of 3501, all subsequent BIOS versions are stable). My system would shut down without warning, and with no correlation to component installation, quality or temperature.

Just update your BIOS to the latest (3802 is the latest known-stable version), and you should be set!

See this post/thread for more details.

Cheers!

bas13bou
Level 7
The problem is the motherboard chipset and pc shot down.