cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X470-pro random and weird black screen

creatie
Level 7
I built a new PC as below config last month and it started my nightmare.

The PC randomly black screen in low CPU usage and NO related errors in event views (it only shows "power off unexpected", "dump fail" etc.).

At the beginning, I thought it was caused by overclock. I disabled all overclock options in bios and win10, even Cool & Quiet, set performance bias to None or Auto. I used aida64, OCCT, Furmark, memtest, Fritz Chess, etc. to test for hours and days, NO black screen.

But when I start to use it with low workload (internet browsing, listening music, downloading, etc.) daily, it occurred black screen again.
Sometimes several times in one hour, sometimes one or two times in days.

And when the black screen occurs, I can PING that PC successfully and read the files/folders shared by that PC from another laptop/pc; it seems you can't remote desktop to that PC when black screen. Keyboard, mouse is dead (Caps Lock light didn't on / off when you press); no signal to TV or monitor, CPU fans and VGA, motherboard, chassis fans work as normal.
I can't reset the PC by press the RESET on chassis (it works when PC working normally), I only can press the POWER button for 3 seconds to power off the PC. And after I re-power on the PC, sometimes it ask you to enter BIOS.

The video card is from my another PC. It works well on that one for years. Memory is tested on other PC, no issue. I don't have a CPU to replace and test. But I think it's motherboard issue.

I almost try to change every settings in the BIOS to test, I didn't install AI Suite, any RGB software on my PC, no start HW monitoring tools.Tried ultimate power plan, ryzen power plan, performance power plan, no timers for sleep...... I try to set everything I could figure out. Sometimes I even believe I fixed it after using it without black screen for day, then it black screen again.

Please anyone can help me???

My build:
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Prime X470 pro BIOS 4011
Gskill DDR4 3200
AMD R9 370 4G HDMI to TV, DP to monitor
Win 10 Pro x64
8 REPLIES 8

gupsterg
Level 13
You've stated overclock has been undone, is RAM set to run 3200MHz?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
You've stated overclock has been undone, is RAM set to run 3200MHz?

whatever the ram run at 3200 2800 2133, etc., it will black screen.

gupsterg
Level 13
Strange behaviour for stock setup. After rereading OP and above, sorta out of suggestions.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

You've stated overclock has been undone, whar RAM are you using ?

neyla12 wrote:
you've stated overclock has been undone, whar ram are you using ?

g.skill f4-3200c16d-16gtzr

Does PC shut down when you press power key?

it will shutdown when press power button more than 3 seconds as normal.

if I enable 'virtual memory'/"paging file" in win10 , and start eight HCI memtest (each 2048MB), one of them will find huge amounts of erros, when mentest just starts.

if disable 'virtual memory'/"paging file" in win10, ans start HCI memtest to test as more as they can (around 15GB), no erros .

use memtest86 test in DOS, no erros.

any ideas?