Power Supply850W Corsair RM850X
    Keyboard Hyper-X Alloy FPS
    Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
    Headset Bose QC 25
    Mouse Pad Steelseries QCK
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

Cold boot NVME Samsung 960 EVO - Asus Maximus X Hero

Hi All,

I have the weirdest problem i cannot get my head around. The problem is that when i start the system (no power cable have been unplugged) the first boot everything posts OK and i have no errors on the LED on the motherboard but it wont boot. So after some troubleshooting i found out if i go to the BIOS/UEFI and idle there for a couple a minutes and chose discard changes and reboot the system the system boots to windows normally. If i don't go to bios the second restart will also have my system boot to windows.

So my setup:
    - Windows 10 Latest patches for LTSB Enterprise version.
    - Intel 8700K running at 5.3Ghz (1.365V) and uncore at 4.9Ghz (Auto) (Speedstep enabled)
    - 2x Samsung 960 EVO 250gb NVME in raid0 (PCIE x4)
    - Asus Maximus X Hero (Non wifi) (Bios 1003 - I have not upgraded the bios version because of the intel slowdown patch for spectre/meltdown)
    - 4x 8GB MSI Trident Z RGB CL16 3600Mhz
    - Corsair RM850 X (850W Gold+)
    - MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    - Peripherals plugged in is just Monitor Asus PG27VQ (via displayport) and a keyboard and mouse in USB.

Since the system is running in raid0 the drives in windows cannot be updated with firmware from Samsung because the drives will be found as Raid-device running with Intel Rapid Storage technology which is running the latest firmware and drivers.

I'm thinking this have to do with a cold boot issue since if i wait and idle in UEFI/BIOS the system will boot normally the first time and when i reboot when the system is "hot" it will also work perfectly. I have run Disk scans and memory tests but nothing is failing.

Do you guys have any clue on what could possibly be wrong here? Just ask me if there is more info that needs to be provided.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by nordhoj; 07-09-2018 at 10:39 AM.