cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus X Hero - Dram Voltage issue

choco13
Level 7
For some reason my Maximus X Hero board ignores xmp profile and manual memory voltage. No matter what, it's alway stuck at 1.088v in both - bios and windows. Goes up to 1.104V sometimes but that's it.

My main memory: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

- won't let me boot using XMP profile, goes back to bios. Memory voltage set to 1.350V by the profile, reading shows 1.088V

- 2666Mhz is the cap i'm able to boot at this voltage (manual dram freq)

- setting timings and voltage manually doesn't change a thing. Voltage always the same 1.088v

Back up memory from 2nd PC: kingston HX430C15SBK2/16 3000 mhz 2x8gb

- boots at 2133mhz by defaultt or 2666mhz (there are 2 profile) boot normaly but voltage set by the profile to 1.2V, reading shows again 1.088V. and the other profile 1.35 at 3000mhz doesnt even boot.

Things i tried:

CMOS clear

Reset bios

2 sticks

1 stick a time

Both memory channels

Bios versions 1503, 1401, 1303, 1101 and 1003

Different CPU VCCIO and System Agent voltages (1.2V etc.)

Tried the same Ram kits on asus z170 pro gaming working completely fine.

Every other manual Bios values work as expected except this
one.

Thank you in advance.

*sorry for my English
9 REPLIES 9

NemesisChild
Level 12
Someone else here in the ROG forums had the exact same problem.

As I recall, they were forced to RMA the board. The replacement board worked just fine.

That would be my suggestion....good luck!
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

choco13
Level 7
Yes unfortunately i think i have to RMA this board because i already tried every possible solution and ...Nothing!
But its very strange because every other option in bios working fine as it should.

chevell65
Level 12
I've seen one guy fix this same memory voltage issue by using the bios flashback method and then clearing the cmos. Might be worth a try before the RMA.

choco13
Level 7
I' m gonna try again later today to flashback the bios to previous version and clear the cmos. I already tried a lot of times to flash the bios but i will give one more chance. Also if you have any link with this guy telling about this please if its possible send it to me it would be nice if i manage to fix it.

Thanks for your reply.

chevell65
Level 12
This was with a crosshair VII Hero board but it looks like it's worth a try. https://hardforum.com/threads/solved-asus-crosshair-vii-hero-wifi-cant-set-dram-voltage.1959972/

choco13
Level 7
Hello again.
Chevell65 thanks for your time dude i appreciate that.
Unfortunately the method of flashback is not working on z370 boards. I did a flash due to ez flash 3 tool in bios and clear cmos again but still the same issue. Dram voltage stuck at 1.088v. Im afraid there is no other option except RMA .

choco13
Level 7
update!
*finally i got new motheboard (asus maximus x hero) and everything seems to work properly. so it was clearly hardware issue!

choco13 wrote:
update!
*finally i got new motheboard (asus maximus x hero) and everything seems to work properly. so it was clearly hardware issue!

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Have fun!
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

choco13 wrote:
update!

Did you return to a store or call ASUS for RMA?

If you called ASUS what did you say to get a RMA issued, these guys are telling me that 3200 speed is considered overclock and if it's unstable its at my own risk. They're arguing it's not the fault of the MOBO.

I'm having the exact same issue with the DRAM voltage never changing from 1.088V no matter if it's auto, manual, or xmp.